• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New Feats Survey!

This is an honest question and I'd like to know if anyone else sees it this way. Taking the Battlemaster (is that a portmanteau, or just two words?), and the trip maneuver, does this mean no one else is intended to trip? I would say that the implementation of a specific maneuver limited to a specific subclass or feats taken, implies that yes, no one else is intended to trip. The counterargument is weakened by there being specific options laid out in the rules to allow you to trip. However, there is a counterargument that the Battlemaster just gets bonuses to it, and that has some merit.

Do you see it differently? I have faith in my DM allowing me to do trip attacks outside of the subclass or feats, but not necessarily other DMs.
In this particular case, no, for two reasons:

1. There's already an explicit way to knock enemies prone without the feat - the Shove special action.

2. The maneuver specifically makes you better at it: you can do it and attack. Without the maneuver, you can trip or attack.

This is fine in my opinion.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think the more they spell out, the less players will look outside of what the game is spelling for you. Back in 1e/2e a lot more players tried outside of the box actions. 3e then tried to spell out nearly everything and that creativity plummeted. 5e spells out far less and I'm seeing that creativity return slowly as my players are being retrained in the old ways.
That's fair. Still have some 3E PTSD to work through on my part...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, I took a big dump on Feats for the Survey, but my thinking about Feats did evolve after Tasha's: if a Feat can reasonably be used to characterize an entire culture or people as much as an individual, then the Geat is worthwhile. Using the Tasha's rules, I can make a culture of Mystical swamp Alligator people using the Whitherbloom Initiate Geat from Strixhaven, which is then a cool Rave option. Crossbow Expert...not so much.

HammerMan

Legend
This is an honest question and I'd like to know if anyone else sees it this way. Taking the Battlemaster (is that a portmanteau, or just two words?), and the trip maneuver, does this mean no one else is intended to trip? I would say that the implementation of a specific maneuver limited to a specific subclass or feats taken, implies that yes, no one else is intended to trip. The counterargument is weakened by there being specific options laid out in the rules to allow you to trip. However, there is a counterargument that the Battlemaster just gets bonuses to it, and that has some merit.

Do you see it differently? I have faith in my DM allowing me to do trip attacks outside of the subclass or feats, but not necessarily other DMs.
I THINKS anyone can trip (as an action) battlemaster lets you to trip on a hit that not only causes damage, it also trips no check or exta action need.

Crawford's race post was from February 2018. That was four years ago, before all the expansion races. Before Ebberon and really anything else. I think now, it would be very different.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

It’s absolutely intended for other people to be able to trip, IMO. 5e isn’t built like 3.5 or 4e, where the game has to give you permission to do something.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I THINKS anyone can trip (as an action) battlemaster lets you to trip on a hit that not only causes damage, it also trips no check or exta action need.
Yep. You can also trip as an Open Hand monk, when you use Flurry of Blows.

The bonus is consistently being able to do so as part of an attack, rather than spending action economy on tripping by itself.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Crawford's race post was from February 2018. That was four years ago, before all the expansion races. Before Ebberon and really anything else. I think now, it would be very different.
Maybe, maybe not. Surely people laying Theros, Ravenloft or Strixhaven campaigns have new options.

Remove ads