New Feats

Shinsetsu

First Post
I like double attack, but I think it should also have improved two weapon fighting as a prerequisite. Using two weapons during a sneak attack isn't that much more powerful, since you only add the extra damage to one attack. IMO, it sounds great, as long as it doesn't apply to AOOs, or when the TWF is flat-footed.

Crothian

First Post
I don't like double attack. I see the TWF people getting to use both attacks all the time. But I'm worried about it with sneak attack and with spring attack. An extra attack is a big thing. And third in the chain is not that big a deal. Any class with the best base attack bonus can get it at level 6. Seems to easy.

Last edited:

Geoff Watson

First Post
Shinsetsu said:
Using two weapons during a sneak attack isn't that much more powerful, since you only add the extra damage to one attack.

Why do you think that?
Sneak Attack damage applies to every attack, if the conditions are met (lost Dex bonus, or Flanked).

Geoff.

Crothian

First Post
Exotic Armor Proficiency
You wear your armor like a second skin.

Prerequisite: BAB 1+, Proficiency in armor type.

Benefit: Choose an armor type(ie Leather, Scale, Full Plate). When wearing this type of armor treat it as one category lighter for purposes of movement(Light armor is still light). Spell failure chances are decreased by 10%, max dex bonus is increased by 2, and armor check penalties are decreased by 3.
---------

Okay, what will this allow. Mages will wear leather with no arcane failure. Sellswords (from T&B) can wear any type of armor with no Arcan Failure. A MW version of anything light and medium (except Chainmail) will have no Armor Check Penalty. Max dex bonuses all increase so most people won't be limited by their armor. And the speed increases.

Now for the scary stuff: Mithral Full Plate. Counts as Light armor, Max Dex is +5, Armor check penalty is 0, spell failure is only 15%.

I just noticed that for one feat you're offering the bonuses of Mithral to any armor.

I really think this is to good for a feat.

Last edited:

Cloudgatherer

First Post
So what would happen if someone choose Exotic Armor Proficiency (I suggest changing the name) "full plate" and was wearing mithral full plate? Would it count as light armor? Do the bonuses stack?

Exotic <blank> proficiency implies the armor is "special" or requires special training to use (like Exotic Weapon Proficiency). Not sure what a better name would be, but I'll think about it.

Cabral

First Post
I would knock the exotic armor down to either knock a armor down one class or increase max dex by 1, decrease armor check penalty by 1, and decrease spell failure by 5%.

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
I'm starting to use a different version of your armor feats IMC. I borrowed them from the NBoF and changed them a little bit, but here they are.

Armor Focus [General, Fighter]
You are unusually adept at moving in certain types of armor.
Prereq: BAB +1, Proficiency with armor.

Benefit: When this feat is chosen, choose a type of armor, such as Plate Mail. Whenever wearing this type of armor, the armor check penalty is reduced by 1.

Armor Specialization [Special]
You are an expert at deflecting blows with your armor.
Prereq: Fighter Level 4+, Armor Focus.

Benefit: When this feat is selected, choose any type of armor that you have Armor Focus in. Whenever wearing that type armor, the armor bonus to AC of that armor is 2 points higher (ie. Plate Mail provides a +9 instead of +7).

----------------------
In the NBoF, Armor Specialization provided a dodge bonus to AC, and I felt that was a bit too strong. I think that giving the bonus to all attacks is just a bit much. Limiting the bonus to an armor bonus doesn't hurt touch attacks too much.

Marshall

First Post
Crothian said:
Okay, what will this allow.
Mages will wear leather with no arcane failure.

For two feats, Light Armor Prof/Exotic Armor Prof, Thats not unreasonable.

Spellswords (from T&B) can wear any type of armor with no Arcan Failure.

So for another feat you get to add Partial Plate and Full Plate? Again, Reasonable.

A MW version of anything light and medium (except Chainmail) will have no Armor Check Penalty.

MW items should be good. And for the classes that care about Check Penalties a feat is a high cost. Not that check penalties are that bad to start with...

Max dex bonuses all increase so most people won't be limited by their armor.

Only if you have the DEX to take advantage of the higher allowable limit. And if you do, Why the heck are you using havy armor anyway?

And the speed increases.

Ahhh! Heres the kicker, with the speed restrictions built into 3e armor, Noone is sticking with heavy armor. IMC even the tanks are looking for Bracers of Armor or Magic Chain Shirts. Creating a feat to bring the heavier armors back into the game shouldnt be a Bad thing.

Now for the scary stuff: Mithral Full Plate. Counts as Light armor, Max Dex is +5, Armor check penalty is 0, spell failure is only 15%.

I just noticed that for one feat you're offering the bonuses of Mithral to any armor.

For 11,000gp of non-magical armor and at least 1 feat, This is a bad thing?

And yes I took the stats from Mithral, Maybe too much, maybe not. But when you consider that you can get those bennies for 1Kgp, It doesnt look so powerful anymore.

Cloudgatherer Enhanced Armor Proficiency? And yes it would stack. Maybe someone would actually use Heavy Armor then.

Cabral Is that enough for a feat? Maybe both together...

Cabral

First Post
Marshall said:

Cabral Is that enough for a feat? Maybe both together...

For a low level feat with almost no prerequisites? Yes. Though, you could probably beef it up to apply to a category of armors.

However, check out
Monte Cook's New Feats (April 28, 2001) for a feat, Forced Swiftness, that ought to make heavy armor more attractive.

You could create new feats that build up upon each other along similar power levels that stack up to your original feat.

Remove ads