• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Format for Spells in Revised Core Books?

chengarino

First Post
Did anyone noticed that in the newest Dragon (304) there was an article called "Monster Magic" by James Wyatt. It lists a bunch of spells which could be 'more' useful to monster PCs than the normal humanoid folks.

For a few spells in the list--Invasive Telepathy, Spit Poison, and Poison Weapon--there was an additional 'data' block for the 'psionic version' of the spell.

For example, "Invasive Telepathy" is a Sor/Wiz 2 spell from the Enchantment (Compulsion) school. Then, before the write-up, it goes on to say that the 'power' is a Psion 2 from the Telepathy discipline. Pretty nice.

I actually like this. Maybe this is part of the 'revised' spell listing format to be used in the upcoming core books. Maybe psionics will become more accepted as part of core ... as opposed to an oft-forgotten legitimate step-child of the core rule PCs.

Just wondering. Maybe just hopeful thinking. I would like psionics incorporated into core: it offers a third magic-user option (point-based) for players. And, maybe, psionics will get better support in upcoming publications as well.

Nightstorm

First Post
You know I read that article and I skimmed over that. Thanks for pointing that out. OH HOW I HOPE they do that. Even in 3rd edition psionics has been the bastard child no one wants to talk about .

sunbeam60

First Post
flamebait, but hey...

I seriously hope they keep this out of the core rulebooks. I personally do not fancy Psionics and I have never met anyone who does. I know there is a lot out there, but I think it is still a minority given the larger playing field.

I accept completely that many like it (to me it has always seemed a unnecesary thing that can already be covered by a new wizard/sorcerer), but I hope they leave it for an expansion book.

Just my €0.0.2

regards
toft

I think this is a great idea. I don't normally use psionics (though I've done so, and will again), but one extra line per spell, though it adds up, isn't all that much. If it makes things easier for those who use psionics--or even just for those who want to convert the sorcerer to a psion-like point system--I'm all for it.

However...

If all the spells are available as psionic powers, shouldn't all psionic powers be available as spells? ;)

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
In my opinion, they could replace the Psionics Handbook completly with about 20 pages in the revised PHB and a small splatbook similar to Sword and Fist.

However, it isn't going to happen. Mark, the guy who does The Mind's Eye for Wizards, said as much. He said he hasn't heard any talk of psionics getting any kind of revision with the new core books and the psionics book itself didn't sell good enough to warrant a revision.

Oddly enough, I seemed to remember hearing that the psionics book sales where far better than Wizards projected it to be.

I for one would love to see it integrated into the Core system. 20 pages or so. You don't have to use it if you don't want to.

What would it have hurt?? :confused:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Ashrem Bayle said:
Oddly enough, I seemed to remember hearing that the psionics book sales were far better than Wizards projected it to be.

There's a difference between "selling better than expected" and "selling well in a reprint". Would you buy a 3.5 Edition of the Psionic's Handbook? I bet many people wouldn't.

As for folding them into the main book... that does present some problems with diluting the fantasy element of D&D that they may well not wish to do. I personally would not like to see the Psionic rules in the core books, much though I like them.

Cheers!

chengarino

First Post
Diluting the fantasy element

MerricB said:

As for folding them into the main book... that does present some problems with diluting the fantasy element of D&D that they may well not wish to do. I personally would not like to see the Psionic rules in the core books, much though I like them.

I whole heartedly disagree with psionics diluting the fantasy element. The way I see it, most of the magicians in fantasy are more like psions than the wizards. When's the last time you saw Gandalf carry a thick book where ever he went? More spellcasters seem to 'expend energy' (read psionic power points) when they cast spells than just do 'em from memory.

However, I didn't want to get into off-topic argument regarding the legitimacy of psionics in dd3e.

IMHO, I don't think psionics will make it into the core revisions. I do think the new formats will may very well make it into the revised spell descriptions. Recognizing psionics in the spell list without recognizing them in the class list will merely continue WoTC's cut-and-paste strategy with psionics anyway. ;)

Wormwood

Adventurer
If you like psionics, then adding that data is a big boost to your game.

If you don't like psionics, it's a minor annoyance.

Psionics wins.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads