New Ghostbusters Afterlife trailer

Ugh, ain't that the truth. I'm still not on speaking terms with a couple of my friends from high school, because of how they reacted to the reboot and the rhetoric they were throwing around on social media. Certain things can't be unseen, once they're brought out into the open.

Yep. And all these misogynist thugs went berserk on the movie based only on the previews and the fact it had a strong female cast. And worse were the brainwashed women who talked the same way about the movie. The female-led Ghostbusters was way better than Ghostbusters II and I hope this new one will be at least as good, though we know nothing will probably match the original.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I loved the concept of "working schlubs" solving supernatural problems from the first film.

I also think Ghostbusters fits into this really niche comedy genre of Characters Who Don't Belong in the Setting. Bill Murray's character acts like everything is a plumbing problem or something and it's just wonderful. My favorite part is when Sigourney Weaver's character turns into a demon dog and Bill Murray goes, "So, yeah, she's a dog." As if they explains it.

There's an Eddie Murphy film called The Golden Child that's very similar in tone. A lot of the comedy comes from the fact that Eddie Murphy's character doesn't belong in a fantasy epic. He's almost like Bugs Bunny, mugging to the camera and commenting on everything.

Big Trouble in Little China fits into this as well!
Both Monster of the Week and Hunter: The Vigil explicitly support blue collar hunters of the supernatural inspired, I have to believe, at least in part by Ghostbusters and the other films you cite.

Undrave

Legend
As a fan, I feel served. But I hope there's a tie-in to the recent reboot as well, which I enjoyed more than Ghostbutsers II.
Well there was that in the AMAZING IDW comics! Ghostbusters 101 was fun!

Sadly, apparently to 'consolidate the brand' they pulled the IDW license basically without fanfare last year or so and now all the comics are no longer on sale on Comixology -_- the IDW comics were basically THE sequel people wanted to see!

This leans way too hard on Ghostbusters I for me. Demon dogs, Stay-Puft marshmallows, etc., and the hyper-reverent tone (pretty sure the original was a comedy created by a team of folks coked-up to their eyeballs) all feel like big red flags.

I know a lot of people didn't like the Paul Fieg Ghostbusters reboot, but it least it was a comedy that took an original approach to the core ideas.

At the same time, I totally take your point. It's easy for people to forget how much of a goofy, all-out comedy the original Ghostbusters was. I watched it recently and I was amazed at how short the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man scene was. Which was good! A standard present-day take on that whole sequence would have been five times longer with tons more explosions and CGI acrobatics. In my head the whole movie was way heavier on the action. It's a comedy, through and through!

That was the thing with Paul Fieg: he saw it (Ghostbusters I) only as a comedy. He saw it as an adult and appreciated it on that level, so he just... made a comedy. And in a way, this is also the way the original cast saw the movie when they came back to do Ghostbuster II... and I think it's why it was so disappointing.

But here's the thing... the first movie was enjoyed by kids for whom ghosts and monsters were scary, the super natural was scary, and the boogey man was still hiding in their closet... and here's this gang of schlub who show you that with enough knowledge and know-how, anyone can face the Darkness and put a stop to it. That impact was important to a whole generation... And that angle was kept for the long running The Real Ghostbusters cartoon. We don't hear it mention much, but that show, and its toyline, did FAR more to crystallize the Ghostbusters in the public consciousness than the repetitive sequel. Hurray for J Michael Stracinsky (spelling?) I guess.

This movie, to me, speaks far more to what the kids who saw Ghostbusters in the 80s took away from the movie than what Akroyd and Murray did.

I'm not sure how to articulate it well, but basically this movie doesn't want to remake the first movie. Instead of a superficial structural remake like Ghostbusters: Answer the Call that just took the basic formula of the 'four funny people tell jokes and fight ghost'. It want to remake the IMAGE the first movie left in the mind of kids. It seems like it want to tap into that essence more than into the superficial structure.

In my mind, Ghostbuster as a franchise SHOULD be bigger than just the four dudes from the first movie, and waiting on Murray to accept a script instead of forging ahead without him is why we'll never have Egon on the movie screen again. It was, IMO, a mistake to wait to expand its universe. Ghostbuster can easily, by it's simple premise of 'Supernatural Blue Collar Exterminator" be expanded to happen anywhere in the world, featuring any kind of people you might want, thanks to a very VERY simple concept: Franchising opportunity.

You really think that, after proving ghosts are real to the entirety of New York, Venkman wouldn't start selling Ghostbusters franchises all over the place? Answer the Call could have easily have been about a team in Chicago or New-Orleans or plenty of other city all over the world with a rich History to make into its own character. It's not rocket science!

Last edited:

I loved the concept of "working schlubs" solving supernatural problems from the first film.

I also think Ghostbusters fits into this really niche comedy genre of Characters Who Don't Belong in the Setting. Bill Murray's character acts like everything is a plumbing problem or something and it's just wonderful. My favorite part is when Sigourney Weaver's character turns into a demon dog and Bill Murray goes, "So, yeah, she's a dog." As if they explains it.

There's an Eddie Murphy film called The Golden Child that's very similar in tone. A lot of the comedy comes from the fact that Eddie Murphy's character doesn't belong in a fantasy epic. He's almost like Bugs Bunny, mugging to the camera and commenting on everything.

Big Trouble in Little China fits into this as well!
Totally agreed on all points. Don't forget the added dimension that while they act very blue-collar, they're also academics! And while Egon and Ray seem to relish being scientists, there's no sense that Venkman is smart, or good at anything, really. But the movie is smart enough to not try to unpack the weirdness of that, or to make it part of his "journey." It's just funnier to leave it be.

And hell yes to The Golden Child. Criminally underappreciated.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Sadly, apparently to 'consolidate the brand' they pulled the IDW license basically without fanfare last year or so and now all the comics are no longer on sale on Comixology -_- the IDW comics were basically THE sequel people wanted to see!
That's weird. That was one of their most successful ongoing licenses. What's going to replace that revenue stream for Ghostbusters? They've struggled with videogames over the years and four movies in 40 years isn't a great rate of output.

That as the thing with Paul Fieg: he saw it only as a comedy. He saw it as an adult and appreciated it on that level. And in a way, this is also the way the original cast saw the movie when they came back to do Ghostbuster II... and I think it's why it was so disappointing.

But here's the thing... the first movie was enjoyed by kids for whom ghosts and monsters were scary, the super natural was scary, and the boogey man was still hiding in their closet... and here's this gang of schlub who show you that with enough knowledge and know-how, anyone can face the Darkness and put a stop to it. That impact was important to a whole generation... And that angle was kept for the long running The Real Ghostbusters cartoon. We don't hear it mention much, but that show, and its toyline, did FAR more to crystallize the Ghostbusters in the public consciousness than the repetitive sequel. Hurray for J Michael Stracinsky (spelling?) I guess.

This movie, to me, speaks far more to what the kids who saw Ghostbusters in the 80s took away from the movie than what Akroyd and Murray did.
This is a really good argument. I don't agree with you about the quality of the Fieg film, but I understand this POV.

I'm not sure how to articulate it well, but basically this movie doesn't want to remake the first movie. Instead of a superficial remake like Ghostbusters: Answer the Call that just took the basic formula of the 'four funny people tell jokes and fight ghost'. It want to remake the IMAGE the first movie left in the mind of kids.

In my mind, Ghostbuster as a franchise SHOULD be bigger than just the four dudes from the first movie, and waiting on Murray to accept a script instead of forging ahead without him is why we'll never have Egon on the movie screen again. It was, IMO, a mistake to wait to expand its universe. Ghostbuster can easily, by it's simple premise of 'Supernatural Blue Collar Exterminator" be expanded to happen anywhere in the world, featuring any kind of people you might want, thanks to a very VERY simple concept: Franchising opportunity.
It always amazes me this wasn't the approach they took with the Fieg movie.
You really think that, after proving ghosts are real to the entirety of New York, Venkman wouldn't start selling Ghostbusters franchises all over the place? Answer the Call could have easily have been about a team in Chicago or New-Orleans or plenty of other city with a rich History to make into its own character. It's not rocket science!
The only hitch is that, at the start of every single movie, the world improbably doesn't believe in the supernatural, which is definitely something they should get rid of.

Undrave

Legend
That's weird. That was one of their most successful ongoing licenses. What's going to replace that Ghostbusters revenue stream for them? They've struggled with videogames over the years and four movies in 40 years isn't a great rate of output.

I have no idea. There's barely any chatter about it that I could find. All we know is that one day the comics were there and the next they were gone with no warning. It's a weird situation and the 'consolidate the brand' thing is mostly speculation at the moment.

Those comics were insanely good so if you find them in physical form, give them a try!

This is a really good argument. I don't agree with you about the quality of the Fieg film, but I understand this POV.
I wouldn't throw vitriol at the movie, but I wouldn't give it a trophy either. I just find it lacking in depth beyond the surface level jokes.

The only hitch is that, at the start of every single movie, the world improbably doesn't believe in the supernatural, which is definitely something they should get rid of.
Oh yeah that was a BIG BIG issue with Ghostbuster II. They were just too obsessed with returning to the status quo from the beginning of the first movie instead of trying to expand the universe. Really disappointing.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
The idea that human minds filter out weirdness and replace it with mundanity has been used in Dr Who and other stories for years.

Not a big deal to think that each generation might think the last event was just urban legend (if the moon landing could be faked, so could a ghost invasion)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases