New GSL Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnath.rm

First Post
Piratecat said:
This time, at least, I can answer the question. It's because:

1. Technically we asked 18 questions. But a bunch of those had sub-questions, and some of them weren't easy to answer.

**snip**

The good news is that our questions were designed for clarity. I have no idea if we're going to like the answers or not, but I believe that we will get answers to many or all of them.
Cutting that thread down to 18 questions with sub questions is pretty good, and making them clear will help a lot. Looking forward to hearing responses.

SSquirrel

Explorer
Orcus said:
I was just playing that song on my new bass last night, funny enough. I was waxing nostalgic.

Since this thread is kind of in a holding pattern, may as well tell us what kinda bass ya got recently. Some of us are music geeks too :)

Orcus

First Post
SSquirrel said:
Since this thread is kind of in a holding pattern, may as well tell us what kinda bass ya got recently. Some of us are music geeks too :)

Just a cheapie Ibanez 5 string. I've got my eye on a Stingray though....

God

Adventurer
Rookseye said:
Wow, just when this whole GSL thing couldn't get any more bizarre, it has.

Check out the link below, apparently Jack Chick has finally decided to weigh-in on 4th edition Dungeons & Dragons:

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/4DnD/0082.asp
First, Rook-roll is a bastard.

Second, part of me (which ignores the other part telling me not to ascribe to conspiracy what is more simply explained by incompetence) thinks this whole thing is a move by Rouse and others in WotC to talk the Hasbro suits into a more lenient GSL. Seriously ... privileged (very bad) news is leaked to Clark ... who shares it with us ... riots on the Internets ensue ... and all the sudden Scott and Co. have something to back up their claims that some of the additional restrictions could kill the GSL.

Mostly, that's just me trying to reconcile my generally good feelings for Scott with the altogether hideous GSL. I do, however, think it's disingenuous for him to say that the GSL is not a "scorched earth" policy when it clearly is. It's like saying "We're not burning the field because we hate grass. We're burning it because we want everyone to come over to this other field, and never use this one again." Whatever the motivation, they're still trying to kill the OGL -- or rather, doing everything they can to ensure 3PPs leave the OGL to die.

(Disclaimer: Although initially excited about 4E, I was turned off months ago. God's going Pathfinder).

Now, I do have a question for Clark. In what's looking like the best-case-scenario at this point (3PPs can continue selling old .pdf's, but the OGL and GSL remain mutually-exclusive), is there any way for you to publish your Advanced Player's Guide (which is reportedly already written and paid for)? If the OGL and GSL cannot be mixed, how can you convert over the 3E races, classes and monsters that were left behind in the move to 4E?

Orcus

First Post
God said:
Now, I do have a question for Clark. In what's looking like the best-case-scenario at this point (3PPs can continue selling old .pdf's, but the OGL and GSL remain mutually-exclusive), is there any way for you to publish your Advanced Player's Guide (which is reportedly already written and paid for)? If the OGL and GSL cannot be mixed, how can you convert over the 3E races, classes and monsters that were left behind in the move to 4E?

It doesnt take the OGL to create druids, bards, monks, barbarians, gnomes and half-orcs.

So, short answer, I anticipate having NO PROBLEM with the Advanced Players Guide.

SSquirrel

Explorer
Orcus said:
Just a cheapie Ibanez 5 string. I've got my eye on a Stingray though....

Stingrays are very nice. I was buying my first bass last year and really dug the look of the Fender Jaguar bass (would go w/my Jazzmaster guitar nicely) but a trip left us broker than expected, so I bought the Squire 70s Modified Vintage Jazz Bass. Definitely doesn't play like a $280 bass ;)

GMSkarka

Explorer
Nice. Told (via the previously-quoted forum post, and even more directly via email) to expect communication on Monday. But no, yet again.

I guess we should all be in the habit by now of multiplying all GSL-related WotC time estimates by a factor of 4.

I mean, sure -- why would they want to have a clearly-spelled out Q&A on the subject prepared and ready to go during the week when almost every major publisher will be able to meet with them face-to-face in Vegas? Why, that's crazy-talk!

...and I'm sorry -- the fact that folks are in separate locations doesn't wash as an excuse for delays. If my small company can manage 4-6 person Skype conferences with participants spread across the US and Europe, surely WotC can cope.

The level of corporate incompetence here has grown beyond merely 'unbelievable', and into the realm of 'staggering.'

My sympathy for Scott and Linae is immense, and I'm nearly positive this is Dilbert-esque corporate idiocy imposed upon them -- which they're being forced to bear the brunt of --- but come ON. Is there any part of the announcement, implementation, roll-out and PR surrounding this issue that WotC *hasn't* screwed up?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads