• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New guy, bad choices for character and personality

If I'm playing a game with a lot of crunch (i.e. skills, points, feats, and such), I try to make PC creation part of one of the sessions -- especially if one or more new players are involved. Sometimes that can help avoid this kind of thing (and sometimes it doesn't matter, depending on the people involved).

Tangential comment/question: I like the scale of E6 a lot better than that of standard 3e. How long have you been playing E6? Did you run up through the E6 levels, or start higher level?

AOE (area spells) don't hurt teammates on World of Warcraft, where he comes from ;)

This explanation only makes sense for the FIRST fireball not-so-friendly fire incident. Once the player realizes that the spell can hurt his teammates then continues to use it, he knows exactly what it does and does not care. In our group this guy's character would have been fragged a long time ago.

Goblyns Hoard

First Post
I've never experienced quite what you have but have had to deal with similar types of conditions - and some from situations where I know the player isn't a jerk - just that he gets far too stuck in 'what his character would do' and unwilling to bend even a little for the sake of the game. And sometimes that has resulted in some really great games... but only sometimes.

Nowadays I have one simple rule for any new characters - whether from the start of a new campaign, players replacing a dead character or a new player joining...

It is up to YOU to find a reason to be part of the group. It is up to YOU to convince the rest of the party that you should be a member. If you want to be a lone wolf fine - but if the rest of the party wanders off without you I'm not going to spend the time finding an excuse for you to be involved. I have an entire world to deal with as the DM - your character is your only responsibility.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads