New HARP book for your old D20 stuff

Sarmaga

First Post
ICE appears to be offering some trade-in credit for D20 products on the purchase of the HARP (High Adventure Role Playing) core book that is referenced a few posts down. Now, no matter how much you dig D20, you've got to admit that there are a few products that simply stink up our shelves and won't sell on ebay. Now's your chance to be rid of them and get something useful in return.

While HARP is an entirely different system, I've seen HARP style combat used in D&D style systems to great effect. If you're not opposed to trying a new system out, it's one of the best new fantasy systems I've seen come along in a while. I use it currently to run my Conan game wiuth flavor input from Mongoose's excellent book. Good stuff!

Anyhow, check it out: www.harphq.com

haiiro

First Post
Cute idea. :) It reminds of when TSR offered a free Spellfire starter for 60 Magic cards (anything, incuding lands).

HARP looks interesting, but it still costs $10 + shipping after you get your $15 credit, and you have to pay shipping on the stuff you send them. Assuming about $4 shipping each way, that adds up to a $7 savings on the book -- and you're out some of your d20 stuff. That's quite a bit of work for $7. ;)

Last edited:

Ron

Explorer
haiiro said:
Cute idea. :) It reminds of when TSR offered a free Spellfire starter for 60 Magic cards (anything, incuding lands).

HARP looks interesting, but it still costs $10 + shipping after you get your $15 credit, and you have to pay shipping on the stuff you send them. Assuming about $4 shipping each way, that adds up to a $7 savings on the book -- and you're out some of your d20 stuff. That's quite a bit of work for $7. ;)

Perhaps you're right, but most gamers have already a lot of weak d20 books at home -- I trashed all of mine, but some people like to keep stuff at hand even when is useless. Anyway, it might be a good trade to someone interested in HARP.

Sarmaga

First Post
Ron said:
Perhaps you're right, but most gamers have already a lot of weak d20 books at home -- I trashed all of mine, but some people like to keep stuff at hand even when is useless. Anyway, it might be a good trade to someone interested in HARP.

That's my take on it, too. You can send the stuff media-mail and let it take it's sweet time. Assuming you save 40-50%, that's a full RPG for less than $15, which is unheard of these days. I've purchased downloads for around that price.

I can't stand the thought of throwing away a book, much less an RPG book, however crappy it may be. This is an ideal solution.

hellbender

First Post
That is a fairly neat idea. I wonder if I.C.E. is going to sell the d20 books and pay some of the artists they still owe money to from years ago, people like April Lee, Friedrich Haas and Randy Asplund. Or maybe they are just going to be artistic themselves and burn the d20 books.

hellbender

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Of course, in many cases, you can simply buy the Harp stuff on ebay for much cheaper.

Also funny, is that for a while, the same copy of Harp got traded around on RPG Net, by at least three people. People were curious about it, I guess, but after getting it and reading it, they wanted to get rid of it.

Rasyr

Banned
Banned
hellbender - You got something wrong. The ICE that owed those people money went into bankruptcy and completely out of business a few years ago. It is dead. The Rolemaster/Spacemaster IP was sold to a gent in England by the bankruptcy court, who then created a holding company for the IP and gave a master license to Mjolnir LLC (who is doing business as Iron Crown Enterprises).

The new ICE is not the same company as the old ICE and not responsible for the debts of the old company. As much as the new ICE would like to see those folks get the money that the old ICE owed them, there is nothing that it can do about that.

As for what ICE plans on doing with the products, some may be sold on e-bay, those that might have any value, however that is expected to be very few, as ICE is expecing folks who take this deal to send in the crappiest products that they have. The rest get recycled.

trancejeremy - I just did a search on e-bay. The only copy of HARP to be found there was one for sale by a guy who runs an online store. The opening bid for it (he had a minimum bid setup) was over $17, which is much higher than the $10 book that this deal offers.

As for shipping costs, ICE recommends sending your old d20 stuff (and please note that the deal is for any products with the d20 logo, from any company) via media mail which runs to only a $1 or 2 usually. Costs for getting HARP shipped to you are determined by the shipping method you select when purchasing it.

If you ship products to ICE via media mail, and select priority shipping for HARP that is going to run approximately $5 in shipping, for a total of about $15. That is still about 1/2 what the full price of the book plus shipping would cost (approximately $29).

Overall, for those folks who might want to try a new game system, and have some d20 products that they regretted purchasing after the fact, this is an extremely good deal. For those who are happy with what they have and/or don't want to try a new system, then this deal is not for them, then good for them, I hope that they really do enjoy what they have.

Krieg

First Post
FWIW you can typically find copies of HARP on eBay very cheap right now. However, they are almost entirely the first print run. The one's available from ICE are the Revised Edition (ie a 2nd printing with errata & some fixes).

It'll probably be a few months before the revised eds start cropping up among the bargain bins on eBay.

Checking ICE's site, you can specify media mail as a shipping option which costs $1 for the initial order.

Also note that you need to exchange D20 products with a list price of at least $30 in order to receive the discount. So don't go out and pay $2 on an old module that originally sold for $7.95 at your FLGS & send it in expecting to get the discount.

PS- Rasyr don't say I didn't warn you. There is one mold infested copy of Foundation coming your way. Have the hazmat team ready! :eek:

Last edited:

Rasyr

Banned
Banned
Krieg said:
FWIW you can typically find copies of HARP on eBay very cheap right now. However, they are almost entirely the first print run. The one's available from ICE are the Revised Edition (ie a 2nd printing with errata & some fixes).

It'll probably be a few months before the revised eds start cropping up among the bargain bins on eBay.
True, if there are any copies up there that I missed while searching, then they are most likely from the first print run. When ICE revised it (and added 32 additional pages), they kept the price the same, and offered a $15 discount on ANY ICE product if you purchased the first run. ICE also put up PDFs with all the revised and new material as well for those who wanted to get the discount and use it on something else. ICE goes a long way to please its customers.
Krieg said:
Checking ICE's site, you can specify media mail as a shipping option which costs $1 for the initial order.
Yup, so if you are in no hurry to get the discount (well, more like a rebate), then use media mail. You can even save on the return shipping costs by using media mail for that as well if you don't mind the delay.
Krieg said:
Also note that you need to exchange D20 products with a list price of at least $30 in order to receive the discount. So don't go out and pay $2 on an old module that originally sold for $7.95 at your FLGS & send it in expecting to get the discount.
Correct, it is $30 worth of d20 product for a $15 discount. If you send less, ICE will likely email you and let you know that you did not send enough, and then ask if you are going to send more, or if you want it sent back (again, via media mail most likely), and if you send too much, then you should expect another email as well (the discount isn't scalable as far as I know).
Krieg said:
PS- Rasyr don't say I didn't warn you. There is one mold infested copy of Foundation coming your way. Have the hazmat team ready! :eek:

No problem! As long as it is inot missing pages, send it along.

Krieg

First Post
Rasyr said:
True, if there are any copies up there that I missed while searching, then they are most likely from the first print run. When ICE revised it (and added 32 additional pages),

Trying checking the completed items option.

1st editions have been going in the $5-$10 range, while new revised copies are typically $16 and up.

Online stores seem to be selling HARP revised for around $20.

No problem! As long as it is inot missing pages, send it along.

Actually I was joking, just making a reference to my quip on rpg.net.

I just purchased the 1st Edition on eBay from a fellow ENWorlder and depending on how I like it I go ahead & the LE Hardback when it comes out. Any chance of getting the discount directed towards that one? ;)

I will probably pick up the College of Magics as well, mainly to see if there is anything worth stealing for D20 (...and won't that piss off the "D20 Suxxs!" folks over on the ICE board!). :p

Last edited:

Remove ads