• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Harry Potter trailer

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Right Here

Reason for optimism, here. I at least thought Y Tu Mama Tambien was pretty good, and I applaud the ballsy move of putting this guy in charge of such a franchise-y, play-it-safe sort of movie, and I like to see people rewarded for ballsy moves.

I also like the new look. A little more muted, but at the same time a broader palette. Lovely camerawork, maybe we'll get a good one this time around.

Mrs. Barsoom and I watched the second one last night, just to see if it was as bad as we remembered. It was.

Hope springs eternal. :D

stevelabny

Explorer
bah, years of watching television have hardened me to seeing 20-somethings playing teenagers, amd im pretty sure tom isnt that old.

i'd much rather see the same actors in all 7 movies then re-casting in the middle. really ruins the flow when you have marathon movie weekends.

the trailer LOOKS ok...but whats with the choir? Don't play a song over the cool Harry Potter music. sigh
I also was hoping for a "darker" trailer.
You know, a teaser that plays up how evil Sirius Black is and really gets you scared.
Instead I saw ridiculously large frogs and an unfinished CGI Crookshanks that makes me fear what my fave Scabbers will look like this time around.

I have no problems with the second movie being almost all campy comedy. It makes a great COMPANION to the book which is perfect because you cant squeeze the whole book into a film.

Looks like we might be getting more of the same.

TiQuinn

stevelabny said:
bah, years of watching television have hardened me to seeing 20-somethings playing teenagers, amd im pretty sure tom isnt that old.

i'd much rather see the same actors in all 7 movies then re-casting in the middle. really ruins the flow when you have marathon movie weekends.

The problem is 20-somethings have already grown up for the most part. Don't have to worry about sudden growth spurts, or their voice changing, or their nose suddenly becoming the most prominent feature on their face. Actual 14 year olds tend to have a problem with these things.

So far the movies have matched the books that I've read (I only read the first two). I didn't care for the Sorcerer's Stone because it felt too much like an introductory book. Too much explanation of how things work, and not enough plot. The movie followed the same pattern, and I didn't care for it. Chamber of Secrets, on the other hand, I really enjoyed...movie and book!

The third book was my favorite so far, because it was the first to really jump into "adult" themes and structures as a book, yet it had a tightly written style. GoF and OotP seemed a little bit like Rowlings' editors were afraid to touch her stuff, or trim it down.

So, I'm hopeful for the movie. But I liked the first and second ones reasonably well.

EDIT: Also, can't connect. I wonder if the trailer is mirrored anywhere?

Last edited:

Datt

First Post
While he might look too old he just turned 16 this year. I don't think it it too much of a stretch for a 16 year old to play a 13 year old. Not to mention this one is almost in the bag and they are going to be starting on the 4th one. So then he will be playing a 14 year old at 16/17.

EDIT: harrypotter.com also has the trailer.

Last edited:

blackshirt5

First Post
You think Felton is bad? Wait until Emma Watson springs up in a little while.

Actually, that'd just about fit with Goblet of Fire being the one where Ron and Harry finally notice that she's a girl, wouldn't it?

But yes, Tom Felton looks WAY too old now.

Dimwhit

Explorer
As someone who has never read the books (out of pure laziness), I have very much enjoyed the first two movies. And this third one looks great.

Sirius_Black

First Post
As you might suspect, I like the book this movie is based on.

I like the trailer, but I'm still nervous. I know the new director is talented, but any significant change like that will still have me anxious until I see more of the finished product.

Still, they've assembled a talented cast once again and they didn't rush this production as I thought they would.

As for Tom Felton being, psst, he's actually 63 and about to do Cocoon 3 with Wilford Brimley, ....I don't mind the age difference that much and really didn't notice him looking to old. I concur with some thoughts others have posted on here. If Ian Ziering could play a teenager in 90210 for close to if not over a decade, Tom Felton can play Draco for this and another picture at least.

Little known fact, Ian Ziering is about to turn 40, and yet he still looks young....proof that he and Steven Seagal are demonic creatures in human disguise.

So in conclusion, I still am looking forward to this film. It's going to be a busy summer next year of movies I actually want to see in the theater: Troy, Harry Potter's new one, <snapping fingers> there was something else......some other movie ....something about a doctor, denied love, someone's curse and gift.....or am I thinking about the Democratic Presidential candidates again?

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
As I recall, there was some possibility that Tom Felton would have to abandon the role after this film due to other filming obligations, though that may have changed.

Haven't seen the trailer yet, I'll have to wait till I get home...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads