• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Haste - Does it Fix Your Concerns?

Najo

First Post
New Haste

I would like to see haste provide an additonal move or move equivalent action and the extra attack. That way, it makes characters strike more often, provides additional speed but doesn't overshadow quicken spell. Fighters can move and attack more, making it a good buff spell for 3-rd level, and wizards can move or take out an neccessary magic item and then still cast with a full-round action if needed, opening up their opportunities. The extra move makes a creature hasted appear faster, and if under a spell like expeditious retreat they would gain its benefits still, and boots of speed still can use haste without seeming silly:)

As for providing a dexterity bonus, that is too much. It disrupts alot of other magical effects and still doesn't give haste the feeling that you are reacting and moving faster than others. Haste should keep its +4 AC bonus and possibly gain a reflex save bonus as well.

Nate

Surefoot

First Post
I don't think that's a good idea since the new haste would then hose spellcasters a lot and fighter types not at all.

And haste needs to be less good for both fighters and spellcasters.

If 2 spell/round of the hasted spellcaster is too strong (ie he gets to do something-twice), so is the charge+full attack of the hasted fighter(ie he gets to do something-twice).

With this version of haste, fighters would be able to move, full attack, +extra attack...

Najo

First Post
Haste

What if it just gave an additonal move or move equivalent action and a +4 AC bonus. Fighter's would still be able to move and full round fight, but casters can move and full-round cast. Most fighters would use the spell to squeeze out extra attacks, while casters would use it to move into position for maximum casting options (such as for range, AEO, and to leave combat).

As a wild brainstorm idea: What would happen if haste didn't affect attacks or options or anything, but made you immune to AoOp (representing your unnatural quickening) while Slow did the opposite, made all your actions cause AoOp (representing you being slowed and predictable). You could even double the move of those under haste and halve the move of those under slow to represent it better. Don't even worry about the AC bonus and extra attack.

What would the effects of this be?

Nate

Numion

First Post
In my game each and every PC had boots of speed or the Haste spell prepared. Quickened if they possibly could. To match the opponents' abilities I had to give them means to haste themselves. In the end everyone was hasted, and it was just stupid. When my friend started a campaign he removed haste just to save the trouble of everyone saying "I activate my haste boots" at the beginning of battles.

Derren

Hero
Surefoot said:
I don't think that's a good idea since the new haste would then hose spellcasters a lot and fighter types not at all.

And haste needs to be less good for both fighters and spellcasters.

If 2 spell/round of the hasted spellcaster is too strong (ie he gets to do something-twice), so is the charge+full attack of the hasted fighter(ie he gets to do something-twice).

With this version of haste, fighters would be able to move, full attack, +extra attack...

The new haste will still have +4 AC but will not give a partial action anymore. Instead it will provide an extra attack.

Where does it say that fighters still can move and make a full attack?

As I understand it, the new haste will work the same way as if you had a speed weapon.

hong

WotC's bitch
I think they should just give haste a save and be done with it.

... oh, wait, that's harm.

I ALWAYS get those two mixed up.

Danastes

First Post
Haste

I believe that haste as it now seems to be written only giving +4 AC bonus, and 1 extra attack does not seem too powerful. For an arcane spellcaster the extra +4 AC is useful, the duration is too short.

The reason I state this is that when in combat, and every round critical, just casting a spell for +4 AC (for the arcane caster) instead of finding some spell to bring down an opponent is a little weak. Now if they made haste naturally quickened spell, like feather fall is, then I would give it two thumbs up and would have the spell in my arsenal!

It would be nice if haste increased movement by +10 feet as well.

As threads this long take time to read each post, I not sure if it mentioned that if one is allowed an extra attack, if that applies to a spellcaster after cast a spell (i.e., after casting a spell can the spellcaster make one attack at his full BAB)?

Remove ads