• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Haste - Does it Fix Your Concerns?

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Well, now we know what's happening to haste, at least. Does giving only an attack, instead of a partial action (a term that will no longer exist) solve your concerns about the spell's power?

reiella

Explorer
Personally I like the changes, mostly for an indirect reason however.

Schism and Haste are alot closer to being balanced (w/ Schism possibly being too strong now).

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
While I agree that haste was too powerful, I don't like this fix. It makes it useless for pure spellcasters -- a kind of support spell like bull's strength that has no self-useful analogue (cat's grace, eagle's splendor).

Utrecht

First Post
But on the flip side, it makes one of thier feats a viable choice. After all, how many spells currently function as a feat???

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Utrecht said:
But on the flip side, it makes one of thier feats a viable choice. After all, how many spells currently function as a feat???

Many spells function as a replacement for feats or class abilities. Divine favor is better than Weapon Focus and (at 6+) better than Weapon Specialization. MotW's regenerate * wounds are a replacement for the epic Fast Healing. Feather fall replaces the monk's slow fall, etc. Even standbys like Spring Attack are easy enough with polymorph.

I'm not arguing that this is a good thing, just that it's not enough to change a spell.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
I missed the memo how are we sure this is the fix?

And if it is, well its a lame fix. Yes it was too good, but turning it into a really crappy spell isn't a fix. I can't think of a wiz/sor who'd bother learning a spell that weak, it just isn't close to worth a 3rd level spell. This would be just ahuge voer-reaction to the haste complaints.

durath

First Post
Cuold someone please provide a link to the haste fix? I have searched WOTC's site but apparently I am too stupid to find it.

Help the mentally challenged please!!!!:D

Khorod

First Post
Having recently DM'd a Hasted, Flying, Two-Lightning Bolts per round sorcerer, I think taking out the extra spell per round is good for any but the highest magic campaigns. It was fun though, but the melee fighter only had a purpose in tight quarters or when the sorcerer was far away. (And I wasn't going to drop electricity resistance in just to balance that, not till the end anyway).

Would movement still get a boost from this Haste? (don't have the book here). I can see Haste giving a boost to movement, AC, and an extra attack or skill check per round.

I guess in thinking about it, I would maintain it as an extra partial action but go with dropping the extra spell option.

Remove ads