D&D 5E New (?) Info on the Rules expansion gift set.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think a starter box, the this set makes more sense. Maybe? I dunno. Two box sets of three big books does not sound like a thing for most people new or interested in D&D. But there are those folks/kids, and they would be the Uber fans.
These would be the follow-up to the Starter & Essential sets, methinks.

I think I see. So it's like an encyclopedia style bunch of statblocks without the fluff descriptions and lore that goes with them.

Seems odd to me, having a monster block without any lore actually discussing the monster but I guess I need to see it to fully see what they are after.

It seems odd to make a single book that kills the sales of two or more other books...but I'm no publishing mogul so what do I know?
They're still going to have the descriptions with the stat blocks I assume, and those explain exactly what the monsters are without diving too deep into the lore presented in the rest of the books.

The reason why they are publishing in that manner is that they are wanting to update the stat blocks to the new style. And also, it's basically going to be a Monster Manual II for this edition, so a new DM that just wants more monsters than just what's in the MM will get more bang for their buck, instead of having to buy two books with lots of extraneous lore they may not want or need.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They're still going to have the descriptions with the stat blocks I assume, and those explain exactly what the monsters are without diving too deep into the lore presented in the rest of the books.

The reason why they are publishing in that manner is that they are wanting to update the stat blocks to the new style. And also, it's basically going to be a Monster Manual II for this edition, so a new DM that just wants more monsters than just what's in the MM will get more bang for their buck, instead of having to buy two books with lots of extraneous lore they may not want or need.
Goodness knows that I've seen people call for a Monster Manual 2, because they didn't like theb.ixed format of the existing monster follow-ups. So, here it is.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
When they came out, I had little interest in Mord's or Volo's, and didn't get either one. This new one sounds much closer to what I wish those two had been, and I'll likely get it when its released on its own. (I've got Xanathar's, and will get Tasha's soon.)

So it's a win for me for the content. And it's a win for WotC, which will sell me one updated book, rather than zero of two earlier books.

Remove ads