D&D 5E New (?) Info on the Rules expansion gift set.

Owlin are already a lineage. It's only where there is a conversion from race to lineage that they might get included.

I suspect it will mostly be PHB, Volo's and Mordy's races. As pointed out, the numbers might be off because of things like more elves, fewer tieflings.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Owlin are already a lineage. It's only where there is a conversion from race to lineage that they might get included.

I suspect it will mostly be PHB, Volo's and Mordy's races. As pointed out, the numbers might be off because of things like more elves, fewer tieflings.
To add up to 32, I think they will bring in a lot of the Setting book options, as well. Basically make it so that no new player feels the need to buy 4 extra books for crunch.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
It's pretty straight forward: the target audience is people for whom the rules gift set would be a good gift, i.e., newer players. It's easier to make a new book that collates all of the Race & stat block rules from the various Monster & Setting books (as Xanathar's & Tasha's did with the Class and miscellaneous rules) rather than try to sell a four-book gift set and then tell new players that they need to buy about 4 or 5 other books to get all of the rules.

With this set, I can buy my nieces two boxed sets of three books each that would give them all (95%+ at least) of the rules in 5E, from 2014-2020.

We on this forum are not the target audience, except insofar as we buy gifts for family & friends, though the inclusion of newer art and minor rule adjustments might get a few nibbles from us enthusiasts.
Im still confused. Take a book like Volos as an example. The entire book is monster stat blocks and player race options. If you port over all the info to another book (and do the same from mumtie other sources) how does the resting book not equal 500 pages of material?

In other words...If I had this new book in my hand, what would going back and picking up Volos give me that I don't already have?

Im still confused. Take a book like Volos as an example. The entire book is monster stat blocks and player race options. If you port over all the info to another book (and do the same from mumtie other sources) how does the resting book not equal 500 pages of material?

In other words...If I had this new book in my hand, what would going back and picking up Volos give me that I don't already have?
In terms of Volo's Guide it's probably dropping most of the lore content.

Scribe

Legend

I think its a reprint/errata to the new formats, I believe thats the whole point, its to replace Volo's.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Voloshas over 100 pages in Chapter 1, which isn't going to he in this book, and Mordenkainen's has 114 pages for the first 5 chapters, of which thiambook might have a few pages reprinted.

Volo's Bestiary is about 100 pages, and Mordenkainen's Bestiary is about 138 pages: so, 238 pages for Bestiary, and the rest for the 31 Races is about right if the fluff is kept to a minimum.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Put another way: the point of this book is for people who don't want the extensive fluff and lore, and newbies who don't want to buy all the books. What you get to have both is retooled crunch in the new book, and deep dives on Mindflayers & Giants in Volo's.

Remove ads