D&D 5E New (?) Info on the Rules expansion gift set.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I'm looking forward to paying a third (or wood it be 4th?) time to see a grunge write-up.

I am pretty confused by the goal of this project. I'm 100% behind a collection of things from setting and adventure books for general use, but I've always considered Volos and Mords to already be a general use source.

Scribe

Legend
I'm looking forward to paying a third (or wood it be 4th?) time to see a grunge write-up.

I am pretty confused by the goal of this project. I'm 100% behind a collection of things from setting and adventure books for general use, but I've always considered Volos and Mords to already be a general use source.
I believe, a major intent is to bring the monster blocks into the new standard, update the races to the current, and quietly forget some of the language in Volo's and the canon in MToF.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Haven't seen this posted before, on the official site: Rules Expansion Gift Set | Dungeons & Dragons

Of note:

Seems to tie in with the idea that the new hobgoblin (and many more - perhaps less changed) are in this.
Makes me wonder if they aren't going to make the Fizban's dragonborn options the "revised default" to effectively replace the old PHB one. Because...yeah, by comparison, the PHB dragonborn stinks on ice.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I believe, a major intent is to bring the monster blocks into the new standard, update the races to the current, and quietly forget some of the language in Volo's and the canon in MToF.
Additionally it seems there is a desire to add these as a second tier to core.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

It's pretty straight forward: the target audience is people for whom the rules gift set would be a good gift, i.e., newer players. It's easier to make a new book that collates all of the Race & stat block rules from the various Monster & Setting books (as Xanathar's & Tasha's did with the Class and miscellaneous rules) rather than try to sell a four-book gift set and then tell new players that they need to buy about 4 or 5 other books to get all of the rules.

With this set, I can buy my nieces two boxed sets of three books each that would give them all (95%+ at least) of the rules in 5E, from 2014-2020.

We on this forum are not the target audience, except insofar as we buy gifts for family & friends, though the inclusion of newer art and minor rule adjustments might get a few nibbles from us enthusiasts.

Last edited:

If this set becomes "second tier core", I hope adventures all be able to include monsters from MPMotM, like they do with those from the MM, without reprinting them in the back.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases