D&D 5E New (?) Info on the Rules expansion gift set.

Owlin are already a lineage. It's only where there is a conversion from race to lineage that they might get included.

I suspect it will mostly be PHB, Volo's and Mordy's races. As pointed out, the numbers might be off because of things like more elves, fewer tieflings.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Owlin are already a lineage. It's only where there is a conversion from race to lineage that they might get included.

I suspect it will mostly be PHB, Volo's and Mordy's races. As pointed out, the numbers might be off because of things like more elves, fewer tieflings.
To add up to 32, I think they will bring in a lot of the Setting book options, as well. Basically make it so that no new player feels the need to buy 4 extra books for crunch.

Sabathius42

Bree-Yark
It's pretty straight forward: the target audience is people for whom the rules gift set would be a good gift, i.e., newer players. It's easier to make a new book that collates all of the Race & stat block rules from the various Monster & Setting books (as Xanathar's & Tasha's did with the Class and miscellaneous rules) rather than try to sell a four-book gift set and then tell new players that they need to buy about 4 or 5 other books to get all of the rules.

With this set, I can buy my nieces two boxed sets of three books each that would give them all (95%+ at least) of the rules in 5E, from 2014-2020.

We on this forum are not the target audience, except insofar as we buy gifts for family & friends, though the inclusion of newer art and minor rule adjustments might get a few nibbles from us enthusiasts.
Im still confused. Take a book like Volos as an example. The entire book is monster stat blocks and player race options. If you port over all the info to another book (and do the same from mumtie other sources) how does the resting book not equal 500 pages of material?

In other words...If I had this new book in my hand, what would going back and picking up Volos give me that I don't already have?

Im still confused. Take a book like Volos as an example. The entire book is monster stat blocks and player race options. If you port over all the info to another book (and do the same from mumtie other sources) how does the resting book not equal 500 pages of material?

In other words...If I had this new book in my hand, what would going back and picking up Volos give me that I don't already have?
In terms of Volo's Guide it's probably dropping most of the lore content.

Scribe

Hero

I think its a reprint/errata to the new formats, I believe thats the whole point, its to replace Volo's.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Voloshas over 100 pages in Chapter 1, which isn't going to he in this book, and Mordenkainen's has 114 pages for the first 5 chapters, of which thiambook might have a few pages reprinted.

Volo's Bestiary is about 100 pages, and Mordenkainen's Bestiary is about 138 pages: so, 238 pages for Bestiary, and the rest for the 31 Races is about right if the fluff is kept to a minimum.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Put another way: the point of this book is for people who don't want the extensive fluff and lore, and newbies who don't want to buy all the books. What you get to have both is retooled crunch in the new book, and deep dives on Mindflayers & Giants in Volo's.

Sabathius42

Bree-Yark
In terms of Volo's Guide it's probably dropping most of the lore content.
I think I see. So it's like an encyclopedia style bunch of statblocks without the fluff descriptions and lore that goes with them.

Seems odd to me, having a monster block without any lore actually discussing the monster but I guess I need to see it to fully see what they are after.

It seems odd to make a single book that kills the sales of two or more other books...but I'm no publishing mogul so what do I know?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think I see. So it's like an encyclopedia style bunch of statblocks without the fluff descriptions and lore that goes with them.

Seems odd to me, having a monster block without any lore actually discussing the monster but I guess I need to see it to fully see what they are after.

It seems odd to make a single book that kills the sales of two or more other books...but I'm no publishing mogul so what do I know?
This isn't competing directly with the existing books: it's part of the $169.95 "Rules Expansion Gift Set." The idea is to sell more 3-book sets for people who haven't bought anything beyond the core 3 books than they would have sold $240 4-book sets.

This isn't competing directly with the existing books: it's part of the $169.95 "Rules Expansion Gift Set." The idea is to sell more 3-book sets for people who haven't bought anything beyond the core 3 books than they would have sold $240 4-book sets.
Yep. It's also a bit like Curse of Strahd Revamped.
If you already have the original you probably don't need it (completionist exception).
But, there are millions of players who just started playing. They didn't come on when these originals did.
In two if these three books cases they're just reprints with errata to modernize. It's probable that their Xth printing will have the same thing in the set.

Sabathius42

Bree-Yark
If it's not a stand alone book that also makes sense.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If it's not a stand alone book that also makes sense.
They have said that it will be available standalone eventually, but for now it's only available in the bundle. So the target audience is highly specifically people who do not own Xanathar's, Tasha's, Volo's or Mordenkainen's.

darjr

I crit!
I think a starter box, the this set makes more sense. Maybe? I dunno. Two box sets of three big books does not sound like a thing for most people new or interested in D&D. But there are those folks/kids, and they would be the Uber fans.

I have both Mordkainen's Tome of Foes and a pre-errataish(correct Ancestral Guardian dice but pre-nerfed Healing Spirit) Xanathars Guide to Everything. However, I never got Volo's Guide to Monsters and my Tasha's Cauldron of Everything Alt cover was stolen two years ago by a package thief the day it was delivered to my apartment complex.

So I pre-ordered the Rules Expansion Gift set knowing full well that I technically have "two outta three(four technically since the new Mord book is basically Tome of Foes+Volos combined together" and the fact that when it comes to using any copy of Xanathars, it will be the single version I already possess as I do not believe in the nerfing of things in already released books.(meaning the Errataed version of Xanathar in this gift set will pretty much be mostly window dressing/coffee table style displaying.)

But I'll finally have an Alternate cover of Tasha's in some format(without paying stupid scalper prices) and that I'll have a number of the 5E races all in one book. Which for me is a win win. Plus outside of not having the Mord, Volo, Xanthar Alternate covers, all my current 5E books have been the Alternative covers.

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4