D&D 5E New L&L is up

I agree that's pretty fiddly -- the first level spell is not a terrible solution.

Yeah, not terrible, but none of the solutions seem particularly appealing here so far (including the default).

Hmmm perhaps a simple class-agnostic "Detect Magic can always be cast as a ritual"? No cantrips needed, no fallout (afaik), just simple, exception-based design.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I agree that's pretty fiddly -- the first level spell is not a terrible solution.
If the issue boils down to:
1) Wizards are better at rituals than clerics.
and/or
2) Wizards are better at detecting magic than clerics.

I'm pretty sure we're in the territory of perfectly fine as a default, and quite easy to house rule if you like a different flavor.

Remathilis

Legend
There was a balance reason for that, however. The restriction for a wizard to use a ritual spell is to have it in his spell book. Cleric's have access to all spells of any level that they can cast. Requiring the cleric to prepare a spell to use a ritual casting keeps them from being able to cast the ritual version of every spell in the list. Personally I think that is a fair exchange and helps balance the wizard and cleric. (Wizard can cast any ritual in the wizard's spell book, cleric can heal, etc., etc.). YMMV
I think your partially wrong.

Someone posted a page of spells from the starter, and Augury is listed as a ritual spell. It is not on the wizard list, only the cleric. I think clerics can use rituals, but only if it's prepped (thus able to cast without using a spell slot).

Tormyr

Hero
I think your partially wrong.

Someone posted a page of spells from the starter, and Augury is listed as a ritual spell. It is not on the wizard list, only the cleric. I think clerics can use rituals, but only if it's prepped (thus able to cast without using a spell slot).
Sorry, I am not sure which part you think I might be wrong on. Augury was only a cleric spell in the playtest as well. That just means that only the cleric can cast it, including the ritual version. I think we are both on the same page with this, but correct me if I am wrong. And in a few hours, we will have even better information. :)

Remove ads