D&D 5E New L&L is up

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm not concerned with the PH right now - but they showed us Starter Set Preview 3, and the cleric list there contained the one and not the other.

One of these two lists is out of date.

AFAIK the Starter Set is not entirely made from Basic. It has MOST of it's options taken from Basic, but there are Monsters in the Adventure that won't be in the Basic Bestiary (but WILL be in the MM) and it looks like there's a few spells too. Conversely, there's spells in Basic that none of the Pregens took, so they're not in the Starter.

Edit to add: Oh yeah, that goes for equipment too. While Basic will have the full Equipment list, the Starter (again, AFAIK) does not.

BoldItalic

First Post
AFAIK the Starter Set is not entirely made from Basic. It has MOST of it's options taken from Basic, but there are Monsters in the Adventure that won't be in the Basic Bestiary (but WILL be in the MM) and it looks like there's a few spells too. Conversely, there's spells in Basic that none of the Pregens took, so they're not in the Starter.

Edit to add: Oh yeah, that goes for equipment too. While Basic will have the full Equipment list, the Starter (again, AFAIK) does not.
Agreed. I think we are seeing the very first example of "modules". Adventure modules are expected to expand on the game, add new features, spells, monsters and so on but still be playable with the underlying rules. Starter Set is our first "Module".

bruceparis

Explorer
Included is a complete list of spells to be found in the Basic PDF. Article also mentions the entire Equipment Chapter from the PHB will be included.

It's also nice to see Otto and Mordenkainen's names have officially made it to the spell list. It will be interesting to see how WotC handle this kind of intellectual property if the Basic Rules become a SRD. Remember, they stripped this stuff from the 3.5 SRD.

pogre

Legend
Cleric is also missing Guiding Bolt, Healing Word, Sanctuary and Shield of Faith from the starter set at level 1. Aid, Prayer of Healing and Warding Bond from level 2. Bacon of Hope, Mass Healing Word, Revivify and Spirit Guardians from level 3.

I cast this spell this morning and it was delicious!

On a more serious note, I hope you are right about the L&L being a bit out of date.

caudor

Adventurer
I'm hoping that between the Starter Set and the Basic rules that the monsters in the pay to play test adventures (like Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle) will be covered. That would make it easy to update the adventures for play.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
That's all good! I'm good with 4 races/classes/backgrounds using preselected subclasses. I like that it all pulls from the standard D&D via PHB.

Looking forward to it!!!

erf_beto

First Post
Because Mike didn't list the backgrounds, I'll do it for him:

Noble
Folk Hero
Acolyte
Soldier
Criminal(?)

Last one I'm unsure of, but it's something along those lines.
But are these suppose to be the ONLY backgrounds available in Basic? That's what I got from the L&L article.

Isn't that... too few?

Remove ads