Paizo New Leadership at Paizo

Paizo’s owner, Lisa Stevens, has announced that she will be taking less of a direct leadership role in the company, with Jeff Alvarez bring promoted to President.

PRESS RELEASE

REDMOND, WASHINGTON (June 16, 2020): Paizo Inc. has announced the promotion of Jeffrey Alvarez to the position of President and shared its leadership transition plans. Alvarez will be responsible for the company’s regular operations. CEO Lisa Stevens will continue to provide strategic guidance while preparing the company for her retirement in a few years. Erik Mona continues as Publisher and Chief Creative Officer.

“When I started Paizo—18 years ago as of July 1!—I had a vague idea that I might work for about 20 more years before retiring. As we began to approach that 20-year mark, I started to make more specific plans for my transitioning away from the business. For the last five or six years, I have gradually given Erik Mona and Jeff Alvarez more parts of the business to run, along with more control of the decision-making processes. I feel that it’s time for me to formally acknowledge these changes that have been an increasing reality for years,” said Lisa Stevens, Paizo CEO. Stevens founded Paizo in 2002. She previously worked at TSR and Wizards of the Coast. In 2014 Lisa Stevens was inducted in The Academy of Adventure Gaming Hall of Fame.

“I am now officially stepping back from the day-to-day running of Paizo and focusing primarily on the strategic aspects of the business. Jeff Alvarez is being promoted to President of Paizo Inc., responsible for the company’s regular operations. I am continuing in my role as CEO, though when I fully retire sometime in the next few years, Jeff will also take over that role,” continued Stevens.

Publisher and Chief Creative Officer Erik Mona has long been the architect of Paizo’s creative efforts. He will continue to make the final decisions about what Paizo publishes and when.

Vic Wertz, Paizo’s Chief Technology Officer, another founder of the company, and Stevens’ spouse, is also pulling back from day-to-day operations; he will continue overseeing the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, among other duties.

Stevens concluded by saying that these changes have been in progress for some time and are part of an orderly plan.

TheSword

Legend
Lisa Stevens has definitely earned her retirement. I must admit I am a bit saddened that we will be soon losing some of the female leadership in this industry though.
Paizo is like a cool aunt that lets you stay at theirs when you fall out with your parents until you reconcile a few years later. I’ll always appreciate 10 years of being looked after when I felt like d&d was no longer home!

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Huh, never knew that her, Jonathan Tweet and Mark Rein*Hagen all met at St. Olaf. My sister and brother-in-law's alma mater. Roleplaying really does have it's roots in the Upper Midwest - always surprises me to learn how many game designers came from around here (of course, RPGs were born here... but the fact that so many later designers also came from Minnesota, Wisconsin and South Dakota intrigues me too).

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases