• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New leak looks real bad

Ok all, I get it, we are all on the WOTC = evil train right now, but if your going to listen to the leaks, you have to take them at full value.

The leak said this is the HIGHEST TIER, and includes monthly content drops. So....that's a wait and see, what do other structures look like, is there a free version, is the $30 per month just glistening with content....we simply do not know.

Lets be clear, in the age of streaming, OF COURSE WOTC is going to try to setup more monthly subscription money, they would be IDIOTS not to. That is where the corporate bread is buttered nowadays, and it potentially frees them from the cycle of endless editions in order to sell books. So if your getting mad at them for that....sorry but your living in the past.

Ultimately the devil will be in the details. If they offer you several reasonable options and people choose a lesser one, great. Maybe the $30 option will be amazing, and worth the money....maybe it won't (in which case, of course don't buy it). But to say the meer idea of this is rotten at the core....sorry that is completely jumping the gun.
The leaked slide shows a free tier and the $30 + tier. The actually mentions all published content (like EnSider) with the + tier

Pretty sure a couple posts note the leaked slide is fake.

However, I think DDB could, in theory, have a $30/month tier that would be worthwhile. I wouldn't be interested in it, myself, but I could see it existing.

It needs to be doubly as good as World of Warcraft for that monthly price which, good luck, since World of Warcraft has killed off numerous MMO competitors before and even the survivors now are successful with an asterisk. ("Well, I know we talked a good game about dethroning World of Warcraft, but what we actually meant was ...")

That said, I trust Nerd Immersion about as far as I can throw him, so him "confirming" something is meaningless IMO, unless he's suddenly developed some journalistic rigor.

Did he pee in your cornflakes? Like what is your beef with Nerd Immersion?

Consider how this could add up for WotC:

100,000 full subscribers: $36 million per year.
250,000 full subscribers: $90 million per year.
500,000 full subscribers: $180 million per year.
1,000,000 full subscribers: $360 million per year.
5,000,000 full subscribers: $1.08 billion per year.

If five million seems far-fetched, remember that's still only 10% of the current total player base (according to estimates from a year or so ago).
Also, Beyond has 8 million subscribers now. Though they are not paying these rates or possibly any

Remove ads