• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New leak looks real bad

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Did he pee in your cornflakes? Like what is your beef with Nerd Immersion?
I am not Whiz, but Nerd Immersion proved without a doubt that all he cares about is being first. His OGL video is so completely wrong about even the basics that it is clear he did not research anything. He's not a journalist but acts like one. Stuff like that is how misinformation spreads.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I mean it's being reported by 3 different sources, one of which has a 100% track record on leaks. But hey, you do you.
Even if it's true, and YouTubers are way less reliable than Gizmodo (Nerd Immersion calls finding product listings on Amazon "leaks"), the fantasies of some nitwit at Hasbro are a long way from implementation, especially since those plans were likely drafted in the fall, before the fecal matter hit the fan.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Not enough for Big Corporate.

And the biggest complaint about 5e towards WOTC is it left out a lot of stuff to be picked up be 3pp. 5e is probably the edition with the least official stuff since 1e. And most of it targets DMs. Big Corp will notice that the second they pay attention. 5e's success made Hasbro pay attention.
It's almost like hanging D&D out to dry to launch IP off of wasn't a great business decision.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I am not Whiz, but Nerd Immersion proved without a doubt that all he cares about is being first. His OGL video is so completely wrong about even the basics that it is clear he did not research anything. He's not a journalist but acts like one. Stuff like that is how misinformation spreads.
Basically all of this.

He wants attention but has no interest in doing any of the work to deserve it. When the D&D YouTube universe was mostly about ideas for character builds and DM advice, these kinds of folks are harmless.

But when they are addicted to those clicks and start insisting that they "know stuff" based on third-hand info at best, they're no better than those Marvel and DC movie social media accounts that post fake "leaks" 24 hours a day. (And then I have to explain to my buddy that there is no Scarlet Witch movie announced and that Henry Cavill probably wouldn't be in it anyway.)

Want to be credible? Put being right ahead of being first. It took days for Mike Shea to post anything, for instance, because he was actually talking to publishers, designers and lawyers off-line.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Wotc puts out what?... Like 4 books a year. Even if you are buying them at some kind of markup that gives 75$/book it's still almost a whole book less than that "value" of not getting any physical books 30/month sub.
I think this also relies on a lot more content being pumped out. It's a shame WotC just alienated a bunch of third party developers who might otherwise be happy to have filled those roles.

Wotc puts out what?... Like 4 books a year. Even if you are buying them at some kind of markup that gives 75$/book it's still almost a whole book less than that "value" of not getting any physical books 30/month sub.
It depends on the details. The leaked slide, which I’m told was faked, implied all content. So if you sign up know you would get everything published for 5e previously and for as long as you have the subscription.

Also, we don’t know what all the $30 includes beyond the books. The leaked slide also implied a lot more vs the free subscription. Though, the free subscription in the slide did not include some content that is currently included for free.

Regardless, like everything in these leaks, it comes down to the details. I don’t mind paying a subscription if there is value in it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads