D&D (2024) New leak looks real bad

Clint_L

Hero
It's per month, per player.
You don't know that. For example, my DnDBeyond Master Tier subscription is insanely good value. At $7/month I can share access to all the materials with all my players, and I run four campaigns right now, plus sponsor two more through D&D Club, so that is almost 30 players getting access to a ton of material for my $7/month. So I pay $7/month and they all have free accounts. How do you know $30/month isn't the same thing but for the VTT?

Context is everything. I can't assess any number without seeing exactly what the offer is.

Mercurius

Legend
Consider how this could add up for WotC:

100,000 full subscribers: $36 million per year.
250,000 full subscribers: $90 million per year.
500,000 full subscribers: $180 million per year.
1,000,000 full subscribers: $360 million per year.
5,000,000 full subscribers: $1.8 billion per year.

If five million seems far-fetched, remember that's still only 10% of the current total player base (according to estimates from a year or so ago).

Last edited:

At this point I assume all leaks are true until proven otherwise. This whole debacle has been a stream of "Pfft, that's gotta be fake, nobody could be that dumb," only to find out later that... yes, they really could.
I suppose trying to kill the OGL makes more sense if we assume this is all true - after all, it's the kind of scheme that would only work if they literally have zero competition. ;)

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
You don't know that. For example, my DnDBeyond Master Tier subscription is insanely good value. At $7/month I can share access to all the materials with all my players, and I run four campaigns right now, plus sponsor two more through D&D Club, so that is almost 30 players getting access to a ton of material for my $7/month. So I pay $7/month and they all have free accounts. How do you know $30/month isn't the same thing but for the VTT?

Context is everything. I can't assess any number without seeing exactly what the offer is.
I'm just speaking to the leak. Some were mistaken on the figures.

As to the current value?

Sure. But don't expect that to continue into the future given the way things have been trending.

mamba

Legend
Consider how this could add up for WotC:

100,000 full subscribers: $36 million per year.
250,000 full subscribers: $90 million per year.
500,000 full subscribers: $180 million per year.
1,000,000 full subscribers: $360 million per year.
5,000,000 full subscribers: $1.08 billion per year.

If five million seems far-fetched, remember that's still only 10% of the current total player base (according to estimates from a year or so ago).
are we just making up numbers for subscribers here, or are these supposed to be realistic? Because I doubt anything past the first two is, not even sure about the second

Remove ads