WotC New M:tG set announced: "Adventures in the Forgotten Realms"

Parmandur

Book-Friend
(My crackpot prediction is that this is actually a tease for an adventure book set on Zendikar, rather than for a Zendikar setting book. There are a number of logical reasons why it probably wouldn't make sense, but something about the concept just feels right, somehow: an adventure across the adventure plane!)

You know what, my brain went to "tie-in book" but...what about a Zendikar box set?

Weiley31

Legend
On one hand, it sounds like it could just be something MtG card set related.(oh hey its MtG: Core Set 2021. the cynic in me insists on this.)

On the other, the fact that they use the term "Passive Insight" makes the statement sound very DNDish. And the fact they've released Planeshift Articles for MtG/DND, could mean its a surprise unexpected announcement.

Although, wouldn't the term Passive Perception fit in better with what it is in 5E? Especially since MtG doesn't have anything that's Passive Insight/Perception related.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
On one hand, it sounds like it could just be something MtG card set related.(oh hey its MtG: Core Set 2021. the cynic in me insists on this.)

On the other, the fact that they use the term "Passive Insight" makes the statement sound very DNDish. And the fact they've released Planeshift Articles for MtG/DND, could mean its a surprise unexpected announcement.

Although, wouldn't the term Passive Perception fit in better with what it is in 5E? Especially since MtG doesn't have anything that's Passive Insight/Perception related.

I mean, they are also coming to bout the time to talk about the next Magic Sets a bit: maybe D&D is coming to the card game?

GSHamster

Adventurer

It is the next Magic set, Zendikar Rising. Tomorrow is the first day of previews, where they will be unveiling the set.

However, the tweet implies that there will be something for D&D players in the stream, perhaps some sort of tie-in.

Edit: I should mention that current rumor in the MtG community is that the set will be "class tribal" with a focus on the traditional D&D classes (fighter, rogue, wizard, cleric). I.e. all the intelligent creatures will have one of those classes, and there will be cards like "all rogues get +1/+1".

Last edited:

It is the next Magic set, Zendikar Rising. Tomorrow is the first day of previews, where they will be unveiling the set.

However, the tweet implies that there will be something for D&D players in the stream, perhaps some sort of tie-in.

Edit: I should mention that current rumor in the MtG community is that the set will be "class tribal" with a focus on the traditional D&D classes (fighter, rogue, wizard, cleric). I.e. all the intelligent creatures will have one of those classes, and there will be cards like "all rogues get +1/+1".
That seems reasonable, since Zendikar is the most D&Dish MtG setting.

Maybe some iconic D&D creatures will appear on cards: beholders, mind flayers, owlbears etc.

Hopefully this is correct. I think seeing some D&D in MtG makes sense at this point, and Zendikar is an incredibly generic setting which doesn't have the strong hooks of Theros or Ravnica.

NiClerigo

Adventurer
2921D690-1A07-48B2-ACF9-EA9A4AECB379.jpeg
The news was likely that in next year’s third quarter there will be a MTG block set in the Forgotten Realms. So now not only are there D&D magic settings, but also D&D-based MTG cards ;)

M:tG could reuse old D&D settings, for example Jakandor, what is the risk? Or Birthright. Maybe Dragonlance in a future.

Sorry, M:tG isn't my cup of coffee. I am a collector, and I would rather to create stories with my imagination.

It would be very fun a new M:tG plane based in Hasbro's Visionaries franchise.

Remove ads