WotC New M:tG set announced: "Adventures in the Forgotten Realms"

ccs

41st lv DM
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like a cube might be the way to go: 1/2/4 each. And sounds like $200–300 is a reasonable ballpark figure for that. I'll have to ponder; that's still a ton of money for me and on the high side of what I could afford, but not quite into totally-irresponsible territory. ($500 would be.)

You probably won't need that full $500. But you've got 12 months to save & shouldn't be surprised at what some of the cards might end up going for.... I'm just saying be prepared.

Forgotten Realms seems like such a dull choice of D&D settings to pull from for MtG. Oh well...
There really wasn't any other option from WotC's perspective, I would guess. They're not going to choose a D&D setting for MTG that hasn't yet been "reactivated" for 5e. That means Forgotten Realms, Eberron, or Ravenloft. (Saltmarsh is in Greyhawk, but the rest of Greyhawk hasn't been brought into 5e yet.) Ravenloft is too close to Innistrad. Eberron is a great setting but too weird; maybe they would do it later on if this set is successful, but it wouldn't come first. So the Realms it is.

I also happen to like the Realms a lot, so I have no problem with this choice. But I don't think any other setting was really ever remotely plausible for something like this.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
There really wasn't any other option from WotC's perspective, I would guess. They're not going to choose a D&D setting for MTG that hasn't yet been "reactivated" for 5e. That means Forgotten Realms, Eberron, or Ravenloft. (Saltmarsh is in Greyhawk, but the rest of Greyhawk hasn't been brought into 5e yet.) Ravenloft is too close to Innistrad. Eberron is a great setting but too weird; maybe they would do it later on if this set is successful, but it wouldn't come first. So the Realms it is.

I also happen to like the Realms a lot, so I have no problem with this choice. But I don't think any other setting was really ever remotely plausible for something like this.

I would have loved Greyhawk, personally: if they did this 20 years ago, we would have had that, and maybe that would have given Greyhawk enough if a boost to thrive a bit more...

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I would have loved Greyhawk, personally: if they did this 20 years ago, we would have had that, and maybe that would have given Greyhawk enough if a boost to thrive a bit more...

And the gnashing of teeth when the next D&D book for GH was adapting the MtG version to 5e...

Remove ads