WotC New M:tG set announced: "Adventures in the Forgotten Realms"

Kind of hard to put a number to it, particularly with zero details on the product offering this far out.

However, they are positioning this in their slot for intro Magic products, so odds are they will have some nice newbie products on offer that can offer a complete play experience. As a point of comparison, the current Q3 Core Set has five prebuilt decks that you can get packed together for like $60 (quick price check). That would be enough for all the Magic gameplay you would need for casual family and friends play, and I expect they'll have something like that for the FR Set.
Thanks. But what if one of my reasons for avoiding MTG is completionism?

I read once that a complete, NM playset of every MTG card ever released costs somewhere around $3 million USD. Obviously that’s way out of reach for almost anyone, and so almost no MTG players have such a collection. One reason this FR set intrigues me—apart from my love of FR—would be that if I limited myself to “D&D-themed MTG cards” then a full playset might be within reach financially.

I realize we don’t have full details yet, but I just want an estimate—how much would a full playset of one of this year’s MTG sets cost (or, more accurately, would it have cost at or around the time of release)? I honestly do not know anything about this; are we talking $100? $300? $1000?

If nothing else, this should mean some really fantastic new art for the Forgotten Realms (hopefully). So that'll be pretty cool, because no doubt it can be reused for future FR products. It also means that maybe something like Planescape is closer to being in MtG, which I think would also make it closer to coming back to D&D. And I'd love to see that, especially as there's no way MtG Planescape would fail to include the Factions.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

I read once that a complete, NM playset of every MTG card ever released costs somewhere around $3 million USD. Obviously that’s way out of reach for almost anyone, and so almost no MTG players have such a collection. One reason this FR set intrigues me—apart from my love of FR—would be that if I limited myself to “D&D-themed MTG cards” then a full playset might be within reach financially.

I realize we don’t have full details yet, but I just want an estimate—how much would a full playset of one of this year’s MTG sets cost (or, more accurately, would it have cost at or around the time of release)? I honestly do not know anything about this; are we talking $100? $300? $1000?

OK, I see where you are coming from. Still, hard to say for sure, as the market can be volatile, and who knows how this can go if it becomes a big collector magnet?

To give you some idea, here are the complete price list for the most recent two Sets, if you bought everything in singles (you can probably do it for less if you start with a big far pack, and then work with your FLGS to trade around for what you want):

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I played a few times when my sons where learning the game, but it lacked so much of what D&D has to offer it wasn't worth my time IMO. And what D&D has to offer, IMO, is not its settings and related IP.

I'm a super casual Magic fan, but it's offering something different from D&D: a quick pick up and play experience that can be done in like ten minutes. It's pretty amazing that it can also can accommodate Chessmaster level hobby play and collecting at the same time as the casual play it was originally designed to provide, but I wouldn't compare it with D&D.

Personally, I love the IP and Settings of D&D, so this is fun.

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter

Just one of each of the regular cards... or do you need all the special blingy and variant ones? (You'll be much happier with yourself if you just say regular).

Just one of each of the regular cards... or do you need all the special blingy and variant ones? (You'll be much happier with yourself if you just say regular).
Just regular, no bling—unless the bling affects gameplay. For example, I'd want a super-rare card that does something different from other cards, but wouldn't care about a card that differs from another one only in appearance.

Also, doesn't a full playset of an MTG set contain four copies of each card rather than just one?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)

If you’re just straight-up buying the cards from the secondary market, it would be very difficult to make an estimate, as prices are set by complex secondary market factors like how in-demand a card is for competitive play, how rare it is, how much of the product has been opened, if the card has been printed in other sets before... It would certainly be very expensive to buy a complete playset of every card in a set this way, as “chase rares” can easily go up to $20, $40, $60, even $80 a piece while they’re in standard, and a play set of a card is 4 copies. You’d definitely be looking at well over a thousand dollars.

If you’re buying sealed product and hoping to open enough to get a play set of everything, that’s easier to estimate with a little maths. Going off the highest rarity category, mythic rare, a set typically has around 15 unique cards at that rarity. You need 4 copies of a card for a playset, that’s 60 mythics you’d need. There’s a 1 in 8 chance of a mythic being in a booster, so 60 mythics x 8 boosters, that’s 480. With 36 boosters in a box, that’s 13.33 boxes to pull 60 mythics, at $95 a box. So that’s $1,263.

And that’s all assuming 100% even distribution among the mythics you pull. Due to variation you would likely end up with more than 4 copies of some mythics and less than 4 of others. Of course, you’d have plenty of extra copies of everything at lower rarities than that, so you could easily trade for what you’re missing, or just sell your extra copies and buy your missing stuff off the secondary market. That’s probably the best way to go if you’re serious about trying to obtain a full playset of every card in a set. I’d actually recommend getting fewer than 13 boxes to begin with because you’d likely get enough value in extras to trade for what you still need before hitting that many boxes. Maybe start with like 6 and go from there.

Remove ads