WotC New M:tG set announced: "Adventures in the Forgotten Realms"

I’ve always ignored MTG before now.

BUT as a big fan of the Forgotten Realms, I could see buying into this . . . IF:

- it’s feasible and fun to play at home with only the D&D set(s), with no other MTG cards involved;

and

- it’s not prohibitively expensive to buy a complete playset of the D&D set.

I guess it’ll be a while til we know about the first condition.

But can any MTG fans here tell me approximately how much cash a person would have to shell out to get a single complete playset of this, for someone who wants all rares, super rares etc. but doesn’t care about alternate versions (like foils, alt art etc.)? Assume I know nothing about MTG distribution model beyond “some cards are less common than others.”

Would you rather Eldraine setting sooner or better?

Stryxhaven is very....Harry Potter, I would bet there are plans as transmedia line, and we will see some media production, maybe a kid-friendly cartoon in Netflix.

I remember those cards with characters from the cartoon, but I don't talk aboug "guest artists" but a complete setting. Maybe a race of little humanoids who can shapesifting into ponies (ipotanes?).

If the idea of the crossover works, it could help to the return of old settings (for example Hollow World from Mystara), but also some projects may be delayed. I wouldn't be surprised Dark-Sun as new M:tG set to recycle the artists' works.

My wish? a set based in some Asian culture, but not Kamigawa 2.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

BUT as a big fan of the Forgotten Realms, I could see buying into this . . . IF:

- it’s feasible and fun to play at home with only the D&D set(s), with no other MTG cards involved;

and

But can any MTG fans here tell me approximately how much cash a person would have to shell out to get a single complete playset of this, for someone who wants all rares, super rares etc. but doesn’t care about alternate versions (like foils, alt art etc.)? Assume I know nothing about MTG distribution model beyond “some cards are less common than others.”

Kind of hard to put a number to it, particularly with zero details on the product offering this far out.

However, they are positioning this in their slot for intro Magic products, so odds are they will have some nice newbie products on offer that can provide a complete play experience. As a point of comparison, the current Q3 Core Set has five prebuilt decks that you can get packed together for like $60 (quick price check). That would be enough for all the Magic gameplay you would need for casual family and friends play, and I expect they'll have something like that for the FR Set.

Last edited:

i_dont_meta

Explorer
I could see buying a couple of packs to see what it's like after 20+ yrs away but to keep me coming back I'd love to see the game integrated into a campaign like making Magic the new Three Dragon Ante. Probably not feasible as a full integration due to time constraints but if they developed a "speed round" version for play at the table I'd be stoked. Gwent was my favorite part of the Witcher III.

Undrave

Legend

and

If you want to just play a little, you can have fun doing a draft tournament with just a single box of booster (and some extra lands, but those are easy to come by).

As for getting a complete set? I dunno.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I could see buying a couple of packs to see what it's like after 20+ yrs away but to keep me coming back I'd love to see the game integrated into a campaign like making Magic the new Three Dragon Ante. Probably not feasible as a full integration due to time constraints but if they developed a "speed round" version for play at the table I'd be stoked. Gwent was my favorite part of the Witcher III.

I mean, in my experience Three Dragon Ante isn't really faster than Magic?

Remove ads