New Miniatures... Info?

JoeGKushner

First Post
Oh, okay; thanks for explaining. Personally, I'd rather have something that looks good, but that's coming from the point of view of someone who has been collecting all along and has enough dragonborn minis (given that half-dragons work fine for me). I can see why others would want something, anything to represent their PC.

I don't think it'd have been as bad if other companies were making them but unlike elves, dwarves, gnomes, halflings, etc..., the dragonborn are pretty specific to the new edition of D&D and outside of Dragonblood with their two minis and some Reaper figs, there's simply not a lot of options for a core race.

Nebulous

Legend
I just picked up the Reaper dragonborn equivalent. It looks fantastic...but the son of a gun cost me $11. I don't necessarily even intend to use it as a PC; in fact, i would just as soon use it for an enemy in the game. The fact is that my arsenal of minis doesn't have any intimidating dragon men (aside from a few old draconians), hence my decision to plunk down money for it.

But for what it's worth, i agree that given how much WotC pushed dragonborn in the PHB (their picture is plastered all over the damn thing) they had plenty of leeway to incorporate an uncommon mini into the line.

Pbartender

First Post
My counter-claim that it *is* rocket science does not imply that WotC can't do better, that's a ridiculous leap there.

Remember, Charles is also saying that the costs of doing better could feasibly (from either a production or consumer standpoint) outweigh the benefits.

Sammael

Adventurer
When you claim these sorts of issues aren't "rocket science", you are essentially saying that the folks behind the D&D minis line are idiots and that you could do better.Heck, that a child could do better. And that is insulting. It's also arrogant, condescending, and flat out incorrect.
Thank you for putting a whole bunch of words in my mouth. Where I come from, saying that something "isn't rocket science" does not imply any of those things, but, hey, maybe it has a whole different meaning in your part of the world.

Could I do better? Maybe. I don't know. I haven't tried.

Are they idiots? No. The ones I met (online) are very nice, very intelligent people. The problem is that they didn't get to decide. They have the whole blasted Hasbro/WotC bureaucracy above them, the marketing department, and a design process which is arcane and entirely too lengthy. I'm sure that Stephen Schubert and Peter Lee would have made the line 10x better if they were given enough leeway. But they weren't. They had to conform to what's marketable, what's profitable, what's coming up in an adventure or monster compendium, what's good for skirmish, what's some high-up's pet creature, which sculpt works in production, and so on. And then they had to deal with the fact the ever-growing list of "cost-cutting measures" from Hasbro.

Whose idea was it to put an uncommon stirge in a set with a distribution that makes uncommons only marginally less rare than rares? Marketing, I'm sure.

Whose idea was it to have rare (instead of uncommon) dragonborn minis? Marketing again, if you ask me.

And all these examples are extremely counter-productive. Instead of increasing miniature quality and giving people what they want, WotC marketing goes for the "gotcha" approach. Figuring that people are going to end up with a sour taste in their mouths after a bunch of "gotchas" like that, particularly when coupled with poor paint jobs and increasing prices is definitely not rocket science. But it's not the DDM team that's to blame.

crazy_cat

Adventurer
And all these examples are extremely counter-productive. Instead of increasing miniature quality and giving people what they want, WotC marketing goes for the "gotcha" approach. Figuring that people are going to end up with a sour taste in their mouths after a bunch of "gotchas" like that, particularly when coupled with poor paint jobs and increasing prices is definitely not rocket science. But it's not the DDM team that's to blame.
Truth.

JoeGKushner

First Post
3274592803_fd5e3fbefb_o.jpg

Peter Lee

First Post
I can count more Dragonborn sculpts that didn't turn out than did, and as a result, they weren't produced. For example, Dungeons of Dread would have had 3, but the concept art didn't turn out. There would have been a fire-breathing one in Feywild/Heroes1 but the concept didn't work out.

This is the ultimate problem with miniatures -- I work 16 months in the future. When the set was released that would coincide with the release of the 4e Player's Handbook, the concepting stage has just started. The set that I did the art order for last January won't be released until this summer.

Not every sculpt turns out.

JoeGKushner

First Post
It's too bad that the art used in the Races and Classes preview book couldnt' be used. Some great stuff in that book.

Interesting note on material not working out though. Was it a combination of problems in terms of not working out? 3D Printers not working properly? People contracted flaking out? Something else?

I can count more Dragonborn sculpts that didn't turn out than did, and as a result, they weren't produced. For example, Dungeons of Dread would have had 3, but the concept art didn't turn out. There would have been a fire-breathing one in Feywild/Heroes1 but the concept didn't work out.

This is the ultimate problem with miniatures -- I work 16 months in the future. When the set was released that would coincide with the release of the 4e Player's Handbook, the concepting stage has just started. The set that I did the art order for last January won't be released until this summer.

Not every sculpt turns out.

Peter Lee

First Post
Interesting note on material not working out though. Was it a combination of problems in terms of not working out? 3D Printers not working properly? People contracted flaking out? Something else?

There are lots of reasons a miniature might not get made. Concepts change. Sketches don't turn out or are forms that can't be produced. Sculpts look bad, or the size ends up being extremely far off.

It's certainly not rocket science -- it's aesthetics. At least rocket science has mathematically solvable formulae.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads