WOIN [NEW/NOW] Looking for some insight and tips to create careers for a Mass Effect campaign

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think that’s similar to what I said? You spend an exploit, and your minion gains a dice. But it can’t have as many as you.

kingpin000

Explorer
Sorry for the misunderstanding. My base idea is that getting a specialization from low to max feels like an achievement for the players ("look at me, I am the drone master now ;) ", not just getting a single boost dice. It could be also connected with other benefits per exploit.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't quite understand what you mean. Perhaps if you posted the exploits, it might help?

Sounds like it would need a bit of playtesting. I'd be curious to hear what you thought.

M3woods

Explorer
Here's my take on the combat drone. I've made it an exploit similar in design to Mounts from O.L.D. Though, in my opinion, I also need to craft an exploit, called Service drone or some such, as a prerequisite.

Combat Drones
Combat drones offer characters a clear advantage during conflicts. A drone's mobility allows it to maintain a height advantage over opponents, as well as, offer suppressive fire or overwatch for the character's teammates. While every drone has its own statistics as a semi-independent device, they are treated as part of the character during combat.
A character using a combat drone during a conflict gains the following benefits while outdoors (interior areas, unless at least 50' wide and long, are generally too small and cramped to allow a drone the room needed to offer benefits.)

• The drone operator gains +1d6 to INITIATIVE due to linkups with scanners or cameras.

• The Operator gains 1 additional action during combat, which can be used for suppressive fire, overwatch, a single ranged attack, etc.

• The drone gains a +1d6 height advantage to attacks from heights of 10' or more.
Drones may be attacked, and take damage as any other piece of equipment would. Combatants attacking the drone suffer a penalty of -2d6 to the attack, and if done within sight of the operator, subject themselves to a free attack.
Combat Drones may be upgraded at the expense of character XP, just as the character, though a drone MDP may never exceed 75% of the Operator's MDP.

Last edited:

kingpin000

Explorer
Basically the exploits I had in mind will work like psionic exploits by spending "Tech Points". These exploits are my first drafts...

Holographic Drone Novice (requires LOG 4). You create a holographic drone which appears in a square adjacenced to you. This drone is a NPC with a MDP equal to 0.25 (a quarter) of your own MDP (rounddown). First you determine the role of the drone (combat drone = skirmisher, maintenance drone = expert, medical drone = support). This role can't be changed but you can take the exploit more times to choose an another role for the drone.

Then you create a NPC with the keywords [Tiny][non-sentient][Projection drone] with one free exploit. It acts on its own initiative but controled by the character who created it. If the drone is destroyed, you have to spend an another 4 TP to create a new one. This exploit only supports one drone at a time.

Holographic Drone Adept (requires LOG 8, Holographic Drone Novice (chosen role)). The MDP increases to 0.5 (half) of your own MDP. You are now able to create a [Tiny] or [Small] drone with two free exploits. The cost of creation increase to 8 TP.

Holographic Drone Master (requires LOG 12, Holographic Drone Adept (chosen role)). The MDP increases to equal of your own MDP. You are now able to create a [Tiny], [Small] or [Medium] drone with three free exploits. The cost of creation increase to 12 TP.

Last edited:

Remove ads