D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Document: 77 Pages, 7 Classes, & More!

Updated classes, spells, feats, and more!

There's a brand new playtest document for the new (version/edition/update) of Dungeons of Dragons available for download! This one is an enormous 77 pages and includes classes, spells, feats, and weapons.

In this new Unearthed Arcana document for the 2024 Core Rulebooks, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents updated rules on seven classes: Bard, Cleric, Druid, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, and Rogue. This document also presents multiple subclasses for each of those classes, new Spells, revisions to existing Spells and Spell Lists, and several revised Feats. You will also find an updated rules glossary that supercedes the glossary of any previous playtest document.

Emirikol Prime

Explorer
I have been on that page, but this looks like they rolled back a lot
They seem to but my table’s thinking is still who asked for this? Who is this for? I think the answer is HASBRO pockets as none of this seems needed. I feel bad for the team as they could be making more new things for 5E and not tethered to this expanded edition or 5.5. 5th edition will remain I think and this will become the 4E Essentials line that most ignore Or pilfer for some homebrew.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Lots of interesting design in this packet...but it lost me.

I just cant get interested by MOAR buttons!! (each with their own pool and recovery) anymore. I think I'm not in the market for a game with that much fiddly bits. I really need a more streamlined system with less things happening on the character's sheet.

I'll still wait to see Cubicle 7's offering, but I thing gasp I might be done with 5e?

Shadowdark.

So, I guess we can use this list as the current definitive list of what subclasses they are planning to put into the 2024 PHB

Bard: Dance, Glamour, Lore and Valor. Dance is new, Glamour reprinted from Xanathar's, Lore and Valor from PHB2014
Cleric: Life, Light, Trickery and War. All PHB2014 reprints
Druid: Land, Moon, Sea and Stars. Sea is new, Stars from Tasha's, Land and Moon from PHB2014.
Monk: Open Hand, Mercy, Shadow and Four Elements. All reprints, 3 from PHB2014, one from Tasha's.
Paladin: Devotion, Glory, Ancients and Vengeance. All reprints, 3 from PHB2014, one from Tasha's.
Ranger: Beast Master, Fey Wanderer, Gloom Stalker, Hunter. All reprints, 2 from PHB2014, one from Xanathar's, one from Tasha's.
Rogue: Arcane Trickster, Assassin, Swashbuckler, Thief. All reprints, 3 from PHB2014, one from Xanathar's.

I said earlier I'd have wanted one new subclass for each class, but tbh, I was scraping barrels trying to come up with good notions that fit a PHB (ie, most iconic and generally applicable) for several classes. So, IMO, this is a solid list.
I really doubt that Astral Self Monk or Swarmkeeper Ranger was ever going to make the cut for the PHB, those are really niche ones.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, just realized and corrected that one.

Of the five remaining classes ... it's possible they have new subclasses planned, but if I were to bet, no more than 2 new subclasses. Wizard won't have one, I'm hoping Fighter (some sort of weapon master that goes deeper on the Mastery system) and maybe a new Sorcerer subclass?
Based on what we see here, I think we may get a new Sorcerer or Barbarian, as they only had two Aubclasses in the old PHB, but maybe not even. Fighter or Warlock only have one free slot, and I expect we will see a repont for them (Celestial Patron? Rune Knight?). Wizard we may see Bladesinger as a spoiler, but otherwise a narrowed PHB set.

So I expect max 2 new, 13-14 PHB, and 4 or 5 Xanathar's/Tashas reprints.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That's a better approach, for sure. It will let them cast a broader net through the whole player base...they'll catch plenty of big fish who are just getting started in the hobby and need to buy All The Things, and they will catch plenty of us little guys who only want inspiration for a new druid subclass.
Truly, it is the path of wisdom.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I want to know why wotc made a big show about giving monks more endurance but they kept the responsibility of balancing that on the GM by giving them back all discipline points on a short rest.

D&D should not look like half minute hero

Remove ads

Remove ads