• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Document: 77 Pages, 7 Classes, & More!

Updated classes, spells, feats, and more!

There's a brand new playtest document for the new (version/edition/update) of Dungeons of Dragons available for download! This one is an enormous 77 pages and includes classes, spells, feats, and weapons.

In this new Unearthed Arcana document for the 2024 Core Rulebooks, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents updated rules on seven classes: Bard, Cleric, Druid, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, and Rogue. This document also presents multiple subclasses for each of those classes, new Spells, revisions to existing Spells and Spell Lists, and several revised Feats. You will also find an updated rules glossary that supercedes the glossary of any previous playtest document.

Remathilis

Legend
...really? Because the 2014 Rogue can only choose Thieves' Tools (edit: and, obviously, regular skills.) Which...I mean...shouldn't they be able to? It's now not possible for Rogues to get Expertise with Thieves' Tools. Artificers are now better lockpicks than the class that made lockpicking a thing.
My bad, I thought you meant tools other than thieves tools.

And isn't lockpicking sleight of hand now?

First impressions of the new druid:

Thank God that they undid replacing wild shapes with generic bags of hit points. That was a deal-breaker. Going back to using monster stat blocks means that druid will remain the most complicated class, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Limiting the number of known forms to 3-5 is a nice semi-fix to the complexity.

I like that the moon druid actually knows spells related to the moon now. Seems weird in retrospect that they didn't. One thing I hate: their wild shapes use your choice of the animal's AC or your AC, but not including your shield. That's some 3e level of pointless AC complexity.

New land druid is wonderful. More versatile and powerful, but also much simpler. The old Circle of the Land never clicked with me -- it's maybe the only major 5e character variant that I've never played. But I'd love to play this one.

Circle of the Sea is also great. Very flavorful and strong, yet simple. But a free spell effect each turn that does up to 5d6 damage? No way that makes into print, and I'm surprised that even made into the playtest. That might be the strongest ability in the game.

darjr

I crit!
I guess what I mean is the divine smite exploit is gone. No more "Oh, I rolled a crit! I'm going blow my biggest divine smite!" It says it's a bonus action, which reads me not part of the actual attack action that triggered it. So no bonus damage from the crit.
Honestly that's super elegant if they solved it that way. I mean if you thought it was a problem. I'm almost with them if this was the intent.

Update
@Sacrosanct @DEFCON 1
Some one pointed out that the spell causes the attacked to take extra damage. Which matches with what sneak attack does. So it looks like those dice would be doubled too. dang.

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter

I'd have to go back and check, but this does sound familiar. I think so that they could remove the 'Thieves' Tools' with Expertise thing, plus it gave Sleight of Hand a bit more oomph. I could be mistaken, but this does sound right.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way

I'd have to go back and check, but this does sound familiar. I think so that they could remove the 'Thieves' Tools' with Expertise thing, plus it gave Sleight of Hand a bit more oomph. I could be mistaken, but this does sound right.
Ah, hadn't heard about any change of that nature. If so, then it would seem there's no real loss.

Also, having looked for "tool proficiency," apparently they actually are adding a rule to let a stacked skill+tool proficiency matter. If you have a relevant proficiency in both skill and tool, you get Advantage on the check. Of course, that just (again) makes Advantage horrifically over-used, but at least it's being over-used in a way that makes up for some other fault. I guess.

Remathilis

Legend
Ah, hadn't heard about any change of that nature. If so, then it would seem there's no real loss.

Also, having looked for "tool proficiency," apparently they actually are adding a rule to let a stacked skill+tool proficiency matter. If you have a relevant proficiency in both skill and tool, you get Advantage on the check. Of course, that just (again) makes Advantage horrifically over-used, but at least it's being over-used in a way that makes up for some other fault. I guess.
It's oddly under the Thief Fast Hands section

Sleight of Hand. Make a Dexterity (Sleight of
Hand) check to pick a lock or disarm a trap
with Thieves’ Tools or to pick a pocket.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads