• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Includes 5 Classes & New Weapon Mastery System

Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard

The latest playtest packet for One D&D has just landed, and features five classes (Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard) and the new Weapon Mastery system.

In this new Unearthed Arcana document for the 2024 Core Rulebooks, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Weapon Mastery property, updates to weapons, new and revised spells, several new feats, and five classes: Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard. You will also find an updated rules glossary that supercedes the glossary of any previous playtest documents.

The Vex weapon mastery seems ridiculous. It's self-perpetuating advantage. The rest of them seem decent at first blush. Topple seems like it would trigger... a lot of saving throws.

Warlocks as half casters is fine -- if a bit front-loaded still -- but I still don't like how late half-casters get 4th-level and 5th-level spells. Delaying 7 to 9 levels is too much, IMX. Yes, changing the table means multiclassing has trouble... but I'm also tired of multiclassing being the reason we can't make the game better.

Sorcerer seems much better. Fighter seems much better. Barbarian seems about the same?

Wizard is impossible to judge without seeing fixed spells. The Create Spell, Memorize Spell, etc. are really interesting. That said, Modify Spell should not be a ritual. That seems a little ridiculous.

Reef

Hero
Bold added. This is something that comes up a lot when discussing the warlock, and I just don’t understand… The DM isn’t the one in control of when the PCs rest. If you want a short rest, just take one.
Really? To my mind, the DM is totally in charge of rests.

“Can we take a short rest?”

“No, it’s too dangerous, too many monsters, etc”.

Believe me, we’ve tried.

Remathilis

Legend
Bold added. This is something that comes up a lot when discussing the warlock, and I just don’t understand… The DM isn’t the one in control of when the PCs rest. If you want a short rest, just take one.
"Hi, excuse me cultists of Orcus? Hi, warlock here. I know you're supposed to summon the demon army at midnight, but your complex has a lot of combats and traps and I need an hour or two to get my spells back. Can you maybe delay the summoning for a few hours so I can cast more than two spells while I'm in here? Thanks. You guys are pretty great, despite trying to end the world. Kill ya later! "

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Really? To my mind, the DM is totally in charge of rests.

“Can we take a short rest?”

“No, it’s too dangerous, too many monsters, etc”.

Believe me, we’ve tried.
All you need to do to take a short rest is spend 1 hour not engaged in strenuous activity.

“We just chill for an hour.” What are they gonna do? Send monsters to attack you? Kill them with your cantrips, then try again.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Also, Second Wind confirms the 3 encounter work day. Hurray?
Proud Of You Yes GIF

Thommy H-H

Adventurer
Warlocks are only technically half-casters: the new version of Mystic Arcanum (it's an Eldritch Invocation now) gives them access to more spells of higher level at the same levels as other full casters (i.e. they can get access to 3rd-level spell at 5th level). So you can either tool them up as full casters or make a melee warlock or something with different invocations.

Last edited:

Reef

Hero
All you need to do to take a short rest is spend 1 hour not engaged in strenuous activity.

“We just chill for an hour.” What are they gonna do? Send monsters to attack you? Kill them with your cantrips, then try again.
Well, yeah, that’s exactly what they could do. And come on, if the DM says no, it’s a no. I’m not going to sit there and say “ I’m not moving for an hour unless you make me, Nyah!” That tends to lead to rocks falling…

Vaalingrade

Legend
Well, yeah, that’s exactly what they could do. And come on, if the DM says no, it’s a no. I’m not going to sit there and say “ I’m not moving for an hour unless you make me, Nyah!” That tends to lead to rocks falling…
If you don't stand up to them, you'll never get anywhere.

Remove ads

Remove ads