• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Includes 5 Classes & New Weapon Mastery System

Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard

The latest playtest packet for One D&D has just landed, and features five classes (Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard) and the new Weapon Mastery system.

In this new Unearthed Arcana document for the 2024 Core Rulebooks, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Weapon Mastery property, updates to weapons, new and revised spells, several new feats, and five classes: Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard. You will also find an updated rules glossary that supercedes the glossary of any previous playtest documents.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If the invocation lets you get a new spell at a level = half warlock level round up, like a normal full caster, I'd be pretty OK with that. Adding that onto a half-caster chassis brings you pretty close to a full caster.
And I mean, as Crawford points out I'm the video, this isn't actually a math change to the Warlock: the Pact magic version is a jhalf-caster with the same progression as Ranger and Paladin assuming 2 Short Rests with novas in between. This just makes that more clear, and removes Short Rest dependency.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
I think it's more that you're a dabbler gaining power by small deals with one or more potential patrons at first and second level, and then by third you've become powerful enough for them to take notice of you as someone worth making a more exclusive deal with.

I.E. Levels 1 and 2 are you auditioning for a patron. Level 3+ is when you're actually under contract with one.
So this mere mortal with no power somehow not only gets into contact with not just one God-like being but SEVERAL and somehow has the clout to say "I'm going to dabble in all yours powers a bit and maybe choose one later." And these Beings are cool with that?

Those are some pretty laid back creatures.

"Can I just sale you a little bit of my soul for a few spell slots, with an option to buy later? You see, The Fae Queen is running a special next month and I don't want to commit until I see what she's offering on lay-a-way."

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
And I mean, as Crawford points out I'm the video, this isn't actually a math change to the Warlock: the Pact magic version is a jhalf-caster with the same progression as Ranger and Paladin assuming 2 Short Rests with novas in between. This just makes that more clear, and removes Short Rest dependency.
I'd have to disagree there. Pact Magic warlocks get full spell level progression, which is even more important than volume. There's a big difference between getting 5th level spells at 9th level compared to only getting 3rd level spells like a half-caster.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Which I have done. Please give me some credit for knowing how to adult. I’ve known this DM for 45 years. But this is something we don’t agree on. He doesn’t like the concept of hour long breaks in the middle of the dungeon. At the end of the day, it’s his call. We can adapt, or just not play.

But this is not an uncommon complaint. So it’s not just us being wish-washy or something. Like it or not, the DM is the final arbiter. We can make suggestions and y talk stuff out, but the final decision is theirs.

I’m not trying to imply we never get short rests. We just can’t count on getting them as frequently as the designers seem to expect.

Is there no one else who can DM?

The second a DM ignores the group and declares themselves final arbiter, we give them some time off to improve.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Not only has Pact Magic been replaced with traditional slots-per-day spellcasting, but the warlock now has half-caster spell slot progression. I am absolutely livid.
The Pact Magic progression already matched Ranger and Paladin. The Invocations (which they look to be leaning into as the mechanical identity for the Class) were always needed to make the Warlock a full caster.

The weapon maneuvers are... okay. At least there is a case for choosing between Cleave/Push/Sap/Topple/Vex on a turn-by-turn basis.

The real buff to martials is lv2 Barbarian getting to use Str for Acrobatics/Intimidation/Perception/Stealth/Survival, and thus lv9 Barbarian minimum roll result for those skills becoming 20.

Fighter naturally gets nothing to do outside of combat.

Meanwhile, of course Wizards need a buff, so they get Modify + Create Spell, so they can just replace their spellbook with Subtle versions of their spells, that are impossible to break the concentration of, and make them Ritual (=free).

Vaalingrade

Legend
So this mere mortal with no power somehow not only gets into contact with not just one God-like being but SEVERAL and somehow has the clout to say "I'm going to dabble in all yours powers a bit and maybe choose one later." And these Beings are cool with that?

Those are some pretty laid back creatures.

"Can I just sale you a little bit of my soul for a few spell slots, with an option to buy later? You see, The Fae Queen is running a special next month and I don't want to commit until I see what she's offering on lay-a-way."
They've really just abandoned levels 1-2 to anything but starter games.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'd have to disagree there. Pact Magic warlocks get full spell level progression, which is even more important than volume. There's a big difference between getting 5th level spells at 9th level compared to only getting 3rd level spells like a half-caster.
Not if you do the conversion to Spell points: they had the same mathematical value, even if the Warlock could be boomier.

Remove ads

Remove ads