D&D 5E New Players same level as Current Players?

WHat level should newbies start at?

• Same level as the current players, b/c that's fair!

Votes: 88 83.0%
  • Start'em at 1st, the current players had to start there!

Votes: 12 11.3%
  • Start them at first, but give them XP bonus to catch up!

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Poll closed .
Just had this exact thing; party level 5, newbie started level 3 so got the quick advancement up a level to level 4, giving them the thrill of levelling up and hitting a cool milestone level. So now is level 4, 1 below the others, who will be ahead of him unless there's a solo duel or something, but the player loved seeing the power leap rather than it being the 'norm'. In this case it was a total beginner to RPGs.

How does starting at a lower level hinder you from socially participating in the game? We don't make the players starting with new PCs sit in a closet or anything.
For me, it's not a mechanical issue or a "getting-to-know" your character issue, it's an equity issue. I want everyone at my table to feel they're an equal partner. If someone particularly wants to start at level 1 even though the remainder of the party is a higher level, I don't deter that. Generally, however, players joining a game I run will start at the same level as everyone else.

As always, YMMV.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
For me, this is tied to what level an existing character brings in a new PC if their old one bites it, and that's a campaign-dependent question.

Though the short answer is - ask the group for options and present them to the new player. Usually players don't have a problem with a new player coming in anywhere from 1st to current, but some may not want current (hey, I worked for this), some may not want low level (you'll die too quick and won't have fun).

Coming in at low level but at accelerated XP gain to catch up is a favorite of mine as a player. I like building up in prowess and mechanical complexity and also like following the monomyth of zero to hero.

EDITED TO ADD: But I'm also running 13th Age, which has no XP. You level when the DM says, and you get "Incremental Advances" (partial levels) very frequently. Works well starting lower but leveling them faster to catch up.

Last edited:

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I prefer that players start PCs at level 1 because it helps them learn how their character works gradually. Nobody wants to watch a noob suddenly playing an 11th-level wizard spend five minutes each round trying to figure out what spell to cast.

However, I give the new 1st-level PC the same HP and HD as a character of the level of the rest of the party, so they don't have to cower in the back during every fight. And they get double XP until they catch up (advancing 1 level per session at most) so the ramp-up adjustment period is only temporary.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I believe his point was more that it's best for them to be on the same level as it's a cooperative game social game. Rather than crpg video game where progression is a primary reason to continue investing time.

So the other players shouldn't feel like this new guy is unfairly riding their coat tails.

Personally I'd either start them off at the same level. Or if they're really new to system start them lower. And then accelerate them to the rest of the party pretty quick.

This reasoning would make me come to the opposite conclusion.

In a video game where power is important, having lower level characters can hinder the team's ability to complete their quests.

In D&D everyone can contribute and have the spotlight, even if they are different levels. Just last session, the new character saved the day in a pinnacle battle. If they hadn't come to the session there might have been a TPK.

Now that becomes a key moment in that character's development.

If level is that important, you could just start everyone higher. For me, developing the character over time is valuable. It has nothing to do with a video game mindset.

Endur

First Post
For me, it's not a mechanical issue or a "getting-to-know" your character issue, it's an equity issue. I want everyone at my table to feel they're an equal partner. If someone particularly wants to start at level 1 even though the remainder of the party is a higher level, I don't deter that. Generally, however, players joining a game I run will start at the same level as everyone else.

As always, YMMV.

Do you want the new player to feel equal to the existing players or behind the existing players?

I want the new player to feel equal, so I start them at the same level. I understand that this isn't fair to the existing players, who had to sweat for their levels, but it is what it is.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Do you want the new player to feel equal to the existing players or behind the existing players?

I want the new player to feel equal, so I start them at the same level. I understand that this isn't fair to the existing players, who had to sweat for their levels, but it is what it is.

The players in our group (myself included) don't judge our worth based on metrics in a game.

I guess that is where we differ.

Remove ads