• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Sorcerors are too "vulgar"

I think a lot of concerns will be alleviated once we see more paths for the sorcerer.

Taking a look at PF, there is a "arcane" bloodline - someone who is inherently magical. I would be really surprised if something like that didn't show up in Next at some point. The transformations would be wizardly (glowing eyes, crackles of power or whatnot), but be a sorcerer.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
I want there to be spontaneous casting wizards, but I'd like it to simply be a class variant of the wizard that . . . casts spontaneously. No reason to use up a whole new class for a relatively simple tweak.

This. It can be an arcane tradition. Call it "wild mage" or whatever name is still available. If the 3e-style sorcerer appeals to you (a caster with the exact same spell list as the wizard and Vancian spell slots, but with spontaneous casting), IMO that's more of a wizard variant than a true class of its own.

And just to reiterate what others are saying... you're not actually gaining a claw attack or anything, at least at these levels. You're getting a bit stronger/fiercer after 3 Willpower and elemental resistance at 10 Willpower. Those effects could be completely invisible - the fluff is optional. (Personally, I like the idea of a draconic sorcerer princeling, sending a retainer his first molted scales home to prove his burgeoning power to his father the king...)

JasonZZ

Explorer
Supporter
When sorcerers were introduced in 3E, I seem to recall their source of power being left vague, though blood of dragons was definitely mentioned as a rumour/possibility. I much preferred this open-ended description to what we have now - an explicit link to your source of power and indeed, a vulgar expression of it.

I have problems envisaging Warlocks being nice guys, and I have problems envisaging Sorcerers being accepted into society, even a fantastical one.

The Warlock class description pretty much makes it clear that the source need not be evil. In fact, the first pact they show is not. Further, even a Warlock with an evil pact could be repentant.

As for Sorcerors, you can either try to keep it hidden/pretend to be a mage, or maybe instead come from a culture where Sorcerors (probably of a certain origin) are the aristocracy. Imagine a dragon-dominated nation, where draconic sorcerors are the intermediarys, for example.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Don't get me wrong when I say this; I get that some people just simply don't like this origin and there is nothing wrong with that, and you should definitely provide feedback to WotC letting them know. But that makes me sort of glad.

I'm not glad that you're displeased, but I am happy that they've taken this particular "subclass" of an uncommon class in a direction that doesn't appeal to everyone. Too often we see bland options that attempt to appeal to the masses, but I think it's the right direction to see some classes that are controversial. The draconic sorcerer is clearly the kind of option with fluff that some will love, and some will hate, and I think that's perfect for the design space it is filling.

Conversely, I haven't seen anyone complain about the mechanics yet. I haven't playtested yet, but it seems solid, and I'm looking forward to it. I could really look forward to 5e if it has mechanics the majority of us can agree to but fluff that is controversial. :)

Salamandyr

Adventurer
I think what the sorcerer needs is not to strip away the transformation process, but more bloodlines...including an "arcane" bloodline that just makes you more magical looking as you level up...glowing eyes, hair blowing in an imaginary wind, etc.

EDIT: Beaten!

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
You don't think the Sorceror physical transformations step on the toes of monstrous races (tiefling, dragonborn, etc) with similar qualities?

Absolutely not. What if my world doesn't have Dragonborn or Tieflings as a race. Who's toes would the Dragon Blooded Sorcerer be stepping on then?

Maybe my world just has humans...

Remove ads