D&D 5E New Spellcasting Blocks for Monsters --- Why?!

I'm split on this. I like the concept, since I felt that 3e and from what I hear 4e had too much number inflation, but I think they bounded it too much. We start at +2 and get 4 more pluses over 20 levels. They should have started at +1 and added 9 more over 20 levels for a total of +10.

Starting at +1 is a bad Idea, because it is not significant enough. But I think that would have been the right direction.
I'd start at +3 and then add 6 or even 7 over the levels.

Vaalingrade

Legend
no but I am not complaining about 3e right now (I think that is the worst Edition of D&D and could fill pages with complaints) but I think 5e made a mistake useing that chasie...
It's the second best of the ones I've played, assuming PF doesn't count. But then I've only played the 3 editions... not that pre-3e appeals to me anyway.

I'm split on this. I like the concept, since I felt that 3e and from what I hear 4e had too much number inflation, but I think they bounded it too much. We start at +2 and get 4 more pluses over 20 levels. They should have started at +1 and added 9 more over 20 levels for a total of +10.
funny thing that is the 4e modle 1/2 level so +1 at 2nd level and +10 at 20th... but with 'prof is +2' so you start at +2 and end at +12

I think they should have made it prof is 1/2 level min 1, and not prof gets +1 at 5,11,&17 (like cantrip scaleing)

so a 13 Dex 15 Con 12 Wis barbarian that is prof in con saves would start off at +1 Dex saves. +3 Con saves +1 Wis saves and end up with (assuming 1 stat increase to con only) at 20th with +4 dex saves +14 Con saves + 4 Wis saves...

an argument could be made to 'keep numbers lower' to make it 1/3 level so that con would be +9 con saves

That's basically 4e's way of doing it, only they went to +15 for 30 levels and had to patch in an extra +1 when it turned out players lagged behind monsters.
just to let those not in the know you upped ALL 6 stats by 1 at 11 and 21, and twice during each 10 level set you got 2 +2s to add to your stats... then you added half level and a set mod for prof +2. later for attacks they added "expertise" feats that added +1 to hit that scaled to +2 at 11th and +3 at 21st. I personally didn't think they were needed but many did.

Vaalingrade

Legend
just to let those not in the know you upped ALL 6 stats by 1 at 11 and 21, and twice during each 10 level set you got 2 +2s to add to your stats... then you added half level and a set mod for prof +2. later for attacks they added "expertise" feats that added +1 to hit that scaled to +2 at 11th and +3 at 21st. I personally didn't think they were needed but many did.
If you didn't fight tactically the way the game expected and used positioning and flanking and combat adavantage, then it fixed a lot of the whiff you get.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Starting at +1 is a bad Idea, because it is not significant enough. But I think that would have been the right direction.
I'd start at +3 and then add 6 or even 7 over the levels.
+1 worked for 4 editions and with the low ACs of 5e monsters would do just fine. Heck, you could just lower CR 1 and lower monster ACs by 1 and it would work out to be exactly the same as it is now.

It's the second best of the ones I've played, assuming PF doesn't count. But then I've only played the 3 editions... not that pre-3e appeals to me anyway.
I have atleast for small throw away games played basic, 1e,2e, 2e with all splat add ons, 3e,3.5, 4e. 4e+essentials, 5e, 5e+tasha add ons, and at least 3 retro clones based on the 3e engine... of all of them 3.0 is the worst (IMO) with 3.5 being a close second... 4e was the best 2e was the second best and 5e (with tasha's add ons) is the third best... and I keep hopeing 6e/5.5/anniversary edition will be more 4e and less 3e. (all of this i IMO, I don't know why i have to add this but please don't start edition wars based on my feelings)

Remove ads