• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New Spellcasting Blocks for Monsters --- Why?!

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
They are not. They are just reducing them.

That is exactly what they are doing. Have you looked at the Vecna they just posted for free that was the source for the OP.
From this and other threads I think we can agree that there no longer are spell lists, but meager abilities.

But yes, I actually liked that Vecna. Now WotC only has to revise all the other published creatures so even a lowly goblin has fun and varied abilities.

I think the people getting angry at the people getting angry at the new spellcasting blocks (that's a confusing chain of anger) don't realise one thing: People might be operating with different play goals in mind.

Is the new spellcasting system easier to run? Yes. Would counterspell getting nerfed actually make things more interesting for both players and the DM? Admittedly, yes.

But saying that these points mean the complaints have no validity because of the benefits overlooks the fact that these are all concerns about D&D as a game. A lot of people play D&D as a simulation, where whatever the rules provide about the monster, item or class feature aims to represent the thing as it would exist in a fantasy world. And for simulationist people, having spells-but-not-spells is especially grating.

So when you're saying the evoker would KILL the party of it used all its 15 spell slots, you're completely missing the point. It's not supposed to use all of those slots or have all its spells be useful in the same encounter. What the simulationists want is having stat blocks that accurately represent what the evoker can do, so they can take a look at their spell list when something unexpected comes up ("so the party locked the wizard in the dungeon... Luckily I know that this evoker would know knock, so it can escape!"). Having a stat block that focuses solely on what the monster can do in its 1 encounter lifespan really can't achieve this. Incidentally, I think 4e's stat blocks were disliked for a similar reason, even though 4e monsters are much more interesting to run.

It's a classic simulationism vs gamism and conflict, and acting like the simulationists have no point and are just grognards who can't accept change is a bit silly and counterproductive.
Yep, absolutely this. And I appreciate the ease of use, but I still wish the extended information could have been kept for exactly these reasons.

What I would want mostly for ease of use, to have the rules of the creatures most commonly used combat spells being abbreviated in the statblock.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I think the people getting angry at the people getting angry at the new spellcasting blocks (that's a confusing chain of anger) don't realise one thing: People might be operating with different play goals in mind.
For my part, there is no anger. I just don't get why they are angry, and find the offered explanations confusing at best and contradictory at worst.

Is the new spellcasting system easier to run? Yes. Would counterspell getting nerfed actually make things more interesting for both players and the DM? Admittedly, yes.

But saying that these points mean the complaints have no validity because of the benefits overlooks the fact that these are all concerns about D&D as a game. A lot of people play D&D as a simulation, where whatever the rules provide about the monster, item or class feature aims to represent the thing as it would exist in a fantasy world. And for simulationist people, having spells-but-not-spells is especially grating.
Whether or not playing 5e as a heavy, focused simulation game is actually supported by its design (a whole separate topic) seems pretty irrelevant to the DM. That is, the argument you're making here is from the perspective of a player. Players don't look at monster statblocks, or at least they very rarely do, and that's unequivocally by design. DMs look at statblocks. DMs do objectively un-simulationist things (like illusionism, "quantum ogres," fudging, etc.) in order to run the game. DMs play a critical part in inventing and developing the world, whether as its sole author or as a facilitator for player contributions or anywhere in-between. By definition, the DM cannot choose to totally disengage from the brute mechanical aspects of the game, that's literally part of their function in simulationist D&D design.

So...why are the people who have to look beneath the skin of the simulation complaining that they have to do so?

So when you're saying the evoker would KILL the party of it used all its 15 spell slots, you're completely missing the point. It's not supposed to use all of those slots or have all its spells be useful in the same encounter. What the simulationists want is having stat blocks that accurately represent what the evoker can do,
Then this is a key sticking point. I disagree. What does the statblock fail to say that the evoker can do? Does the statblock have to specify whether a creature is capable of whistling for you to be able to decide whether the creature does, in fact, whistle to get someone's attention?

so they can take a look at their spell list when something unexpected comes up ("so the party locked the wizard in the dungeon... Luckily I know that this evoker would know knock, so it can escape!").
I'm deeply confused. Why couldn't the evoker do that as written? You're already willing to adapt things (metaphorically speaking) "off-script." Why do you need the book to tell you that you're allowed as DM to do this? Why can't you just decide that this evoker can do that because she used to sneak into locked areas to alter her work so it would get better grades, but that evoker can't because he was a bit of a rake and chose to focus his electives on charms and illusions instead (even if he never actually got the attention of the wizball quarterback...)

This is why I brought up, way up thread, that people complained so bitterly about how limiting and stifling the rules of 4e were. Why do you need the book to give you permission to do this?

Having a stat block that focuses solely on what the monster can do in its 1 encounter lifespan really can't achieve this. Incidentally, I think 4e's stat blocks were disliked for a similar reason, even though 4e monsters are much more interesting to run.

It's a classic simulationism vs gamism and conflict, and acting like the simulationists have no point and are just grognards who can't accept change is a bit silly and counterproductive.
It's not at all that I think they have no point. It's that the points they have either seem to be simply incorrect (the statblock allegedly failing to describe what the creature can do), or correct but irrelevant (simulationist play requires DMs who know the nuts and bolts behind the simulation, and the sim-focused players, generally speaking, don't look at statblocks), or contradictory with the openly-described expectations of 5e design (e.g. you don't need rules ever, rules are just suggestions, etc.)

Just because you found simulationism to be impossible, it doesn't mean that it is. I'm a DM with mostly simulationist tendencies, and I've been running 5e since 2015 in that style and I never felt particularly hindered by the game not pretending to be a physics engine. On the contrary, you'll find that there's a brand of simulationism like in the OSR that doesn't want GURPS-like rule for every situation. They just want the design philosophy to generally agree to the conceit that the game engine follows the fantasy world, but they can still be rules light. Hell, the lich stat block DND Reborn posted above hardly looks like a physics engine simulation of the lich.
To be honest: I have no idea what a "rules-light simulation" means. Like, I literally don't see how those two terms can interact, at all, period. To be a simulation, the game must tell you what happens as clearly and completely as possible. To be rules-light, the game must do relatively few things and leave most information to decision-makers (frequently, though not exclusively, the coordinating player, aka the DM for D&D). Where is the intersection?

And if this seeming conflict is just that, a seeming and nothing more, if you're able to do what you want with light rules and explain the rest yourself, why do you need the book to tell you these things? If you're comfortable inventing everything else about the world--and dealing with the bizarre eccentricities like hit points and attack rolls and tridents that are objectively inferior to spears in all possible ways and yet classified as a superior weapon type etc., etc.--then why on Earth do you need extra rules that tell you specifically which spells this specific evoker can cast? You're already comfortable making a million decisions purely based on what you think is reasonable. Why aren't spells on that list? Why are they this intensely necessary, "No, if the monster doesn't say it, I literally cannot decide otherwise!"?

As for the appeal to popularity, that wasn't my intention. I am, however, joining a thread started by someone who presumably thinks like me, with several other people who have also expressed their disdain for the new stay blocks just within this thread. Why can't you accept that people who dislike the edition's new direction aren't individual outliers but a specific demographic with specific play aims? What's wrong with taking that into account in our discussion?
Because it's a weasel-word debate tactic. You are advancing a point. As part of doing so, you appeal to an unstated, non-participating community that you allege exists. This is, very specifically, an effort to strengthen that point; if it were not intended to strengthen your point, you wouldn't say it. But neither you nor I have any idea what the demographics involved are. We have, at absolute best, incredibly biased personal experiences of the D&D community. Hence, you are trying to lay claim to a strong argument ("a sizable and important section of the relevant population agrees with me, thus our desire is the most important concern and should be met, even despite other relevant concerns") when in reality that argument is quite weak ("anecdotally, I have observed several people desiring this, therefore there must be a lot of us, therefore our desire is the most important concern and should be met, even despite other relevant concerns.")

Calling someone out for an appeal to popularity, as with any informal fallacy, doesn't make your conclusion wrong. But we don't have to agree with a conclusion drawn from that informal fallacy.

From this and other threads I think we can agree that there no longer are spell lists, but meager abilities.
I certainly don't.

@EzekielRaiden I find it hilarious that just before your above post I read this comment of yours in another thread:

And so the unending tide of reductionism marches on...

Edit: To be clear, no, I don't like these ideas. I think this is just another instantiation of the obsession with brevity and the belief that if less is more then none is everything.

These things still have value. Devaluing them further is not the answer.

So what is sensible streamlining and what short-sighted reductionism seems to be a bit in the eye of the beholder. :unsure:

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
@EzekielRaiden I find it hilarious that just before your above post I read this comment of yours in another thread:

So what is sensible streamlining and what short-sighted reductionism seems to be a bit in the eye of the beholder. :unsure:
Not at all. These things are universal mechanics that all players directly access. Spell lists on monsters? Not so much.

This is also deleting mechanics from the game entirely. As in, they cease to exist. Not having full PC-style spell lists on a spellcasting creature does not delete spell lists from the game.

To be honest, I prefer the format they used in Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus. The spellcasting NPCs in that book have the old Spellcasting trait, but the spells they're most likely to use in combat are written out in full as actions. For instance, the Black Gauntlet of Bane NPC has the Spellcasting trait of a 5th level cleric, complete with guiding bolt, which is then fully described in its actions, complete with "1st-Level Spell; Requires a Spell Slot" in parentheses. The Master of Souls NPC has the Spellcasting trait of a 5th level wizard, and it gets its chill touch cantrip as well as ray of sickness and scorching ray written out in full as actions.
Yes that is the way I thought they were going to go to. And I think it would’ve been preferred and prevent some of this angst.

jgsugden

Legend
I'd much rather they took the approach between. Have the full spellblock and bold some recommended spells. If you want to give them at will abilities similar to spells, do it - but make them slightly different so as not to confuse the situation as to whether they are spells or not. Don't limit the spellcasting monster options by taking away their utility spells.

One of the biggest problems I have here is that we reduce spellcasting monsters to combat foes. While in the past we might have negotiated, charmed or otherwise found a way to turn a spellcasting enemy into an ally and then had a selection of their powers that might be gained to aid with things outside of combat in addition to combat situations, that spectrum is far, far narrowed now under this design. This is a test for 6E. I consider it a failed test. I do not use these new versions of monsters, generally.

A non-extensive list of MM blocks that have options that bypass counterspell, paladin of ancient aura, and so on

Aboleth - enslave (charm)

Angels- healing touch, change shape, searing burst, teleport, flying sword

Banshee- corrupting touch

Beholder kin- all eye rays and cones

Cambion- fire ray, fiendish charm(charm)

Chuul- sense magic explicitly not magical which makes not worthy

Cloaker- phantasms

Cockatrice- bite

Couatl- change shape

Darkmantle- darkness arua

Death knight - hellfire orb

Demilich- cloud of dust, energy drain, vile curse

Balor/Marilith- teleport

nalfeshnee- teleport, horror nimbus

Quasit- invisibility, shapechanger. listing to point out shapechanger is different than change shape with the later being magical.

Barbed devil- hurl flame

Chain devil- animate chain

Horned devil- hurl flame

Ice devil- wall of ice

Displacer beasts - displacement

Doppelganger- read thoughts

Older metallic dragons - change shape

Dryad- tree stride, fey charm

Duergar- enlarge, invisibility

Drows- summon demon

Empyrean - bolt

Faerie dragon- superior invisibility, limited telepathy

Flameskull- fire ray

Fomotian- evil eye>curse of the evil eye

Galeb duhr- animate boulders

Dhinni- create whirlwind

Efreeti- hurl flame

Continuation

Marid- water jet

Storm Giant- lightning strike

Hags- illusory appearance, invisible passage, change shape, nightmare haunting,

Harpy - luring song

Homunculus - telepathic bond

Intelligent devourer- devour intellect, body thief

Kraken- lightning storm

Lamia- intoxicating touch

Lich- paralyzing touch, frightening gaze, disrupt life

Lizardfolk- change shape

Mind flayer- mind burst

Mummies - dreadful glare, blinding dust, blasphemous word, channel negative energy, whirlwind of sand

Oni- change shape

Pixie- superior invisibility

Pseudodragon- limited telepathy

Rakshasa- claw

Sahuagin- shark telepathy

Shield guardian - bound

Slaad green- hurl flame

Sphinx- roar, teleport

Sprite- invisibility

Incubus- charm, draining kiss

Treant- animate tree

Umber hulk- confusing gaze

Unicorn - healing touch, teleport, shimmering shield, heal self

Vampire -charm, children of the night

Will o wisp- consume life, invisibility

Yugoloths- teleport, hypnotic gaze

Non spellcasting magical effects aren't new even for 5e.

Remove ads