• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New Spellcasting Blocks for Monsters --- Why?!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It’s kind of a rule change. Some existing monsters are getting new abilities, having existing abilities changed, and/or having the resource system their spells use changed. I’d call those things rules.
But no rules are actually changed: they aren't even using new sorts of features, just expanding the use in individual Monater design. Technically, these aren’t changed Monster blocks, but new blocks that cover older concepts. The older blocks aren't hitting Errata.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Oh, so this is 5e’s much-anticipated modular design! It’s just taken them a decade to release the “4e style monsters” module! 🤣
Well, yes: Monsters, Races, Classes, Subclasses, Feats. Those are the Modules that plug in or out of the system. The system itself is entirely free in the SRD and Basic rules.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
But no rules are actually changed: they aren't even using new sorts of features, just expanding the use in individual Monater design. Technically, these aren’t changed Monster blocks, but new blocks that cover older concepts. The older blocks aren't hitting Errata.
Some rules are actually changed though. The False Appearance feature, for example, works differently now.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
And how about the new ones in the new books. Noticed anything? I sure did.
Newer star blocks are reflecting newer design trends as they refine their methodology.

I remember Mearls going on a bit in the Happy Fun Hour in 2019 about how they had made a breakthrough very recently at the time about how Monsters work I'm terms of their game function, that he thought had implications in how they might do Summoning in the future. What he spoke about led directly to the new Tasha's Suoming Spells, the new Beast master Companions, the Drakewarden Ranger and other new pet Subclasses, and I believe their overall shift in Monster design since 2019.

Last edited:

Newer star blocks are reflecting newer design trends as they refine their methodology.

I remember Mearls going on a bit in the Happy Fun Hour in 2019 about how they had made a breakthrough very recently at the time about how Monsters work I'm terms of their game function, that he thought had implications in how they might do Summoning in the future. What he spoke about led directly to the new Tasha's Suoming Spells, the new Beast master Companions, the Drakewarden Ranger and other new pet Subclasses, and I believe their overall shift in Monster design since 2019.
Isn't it pretty incredible how all that stuff on Happy Fun Hour ended up having rippling effects on stuff releasing today? Before he was canned, he really was trying to pull back the curtain on 5E for full transparency.

Remove ads