D&D 5E New Spellcasting Blocks for Monsters --- Why?!

Erdric Dragin

Adventurer
I really really hate the new spellcasting blocks. Just...why? Why was this done?

How does this make it "easier" for DMs?
  1. I have no idea the caster level of the monster.
  2. I have no idea up to what spell levels they have access to because of that or how many spell slots they have.
What it looks like is all the "Spellcaster" blocks now look like what used to "Spell-Like Abilities" in older editions. I've noticed this in the "Beyond the Witchlight" book and the "Monsters of the Multiverse" book and it's horrible.

Take the latest Vecna stat block from D&D Beyond.

At will: animate dead (as an action), detect magic, dispel magic, fly, lightning bolt, mage hand, prestidigitation

2/day each: dimension door, invisibility, scrying (as an action)

1/day each: dominate monster, globe of invulnerability, plane shift (self only).

That's it. These are just "spell-like abilities." Where's his magic? This almighty lich has NO SPELLS? He definitely should be able to cast every spell from the Player's Handbook.

Can someone explain to me why the designers decided this? It doesn't make sense. It doesn't make my games "streamlined and easier" at all either.

Do they HAVE to do this? Can't they go back to the original spellcasting block? This is sadly, and angrily, getting ridiculous with their changes.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Insulting other members
Do they HAVE to do this? Can't they go back to the original spellcasting block? This is sadly, and angrily, getting ridiculous with their changes.
Apparently some people thought this approach would be better because it is simpler...

Sadly, it is the way things are going, because people are either too lazy or not smart enough to handle spellcasting monsters. 🤷‍♂️ (When it should be the best thing about them IMO!!!)

Someday, we won't have spellcasting PCs either, just spell-like abilities. So many people already love the warlock. Very limited spell slots, spell-like abilities.... look familiar? :(

dave2008

Legend
Because it is more interesting and easier run than a list of spells. The Vecna you are referencing doesn't need to use the spell list at all if I don't want to. This is a "spellcaster" I would use, instead of many in the books. And for @DND_Reborn , please don't insult someone's intelligence because you don't like a monster design. I am smart enough (I can be explicit if you want), but I don't like the extra hassle of running a magic using monster that is just a list of spells.

I really really hate the new spellcasting blocks. Just...why? Why was this done?

2. I have no idea up to what spell levels they have access to because of that or how many spell slots they have.
What it looks like is all the "Spellcaster" blocks now look like what used to "Spell-Like Abilities" in older editions. I've noticed this in the "Beyond the Witchlight" book and the "Monsters of the Multiverse" book and it's horrible.

At will: animate dead (as an action), detect magic, dispel magic, fly, lightning bolt, mage hand, prestidigitation

1/day each: dominate monster, globe of invulnerability, plane shift (self only).

That's it. These are just "spell-like abilities." Where's his magic? This almighty lich has NO SPELLS? He definitely should be able to cast every spell from the Player's Handbook.

Can someone explain to me why the designers decided this? It doesn't make sense. It doesn't make my games "streamlined and easier" at all either.

Apparently some people thought this approach would be better because it is simpler...

Sadly, it is the way things are going, because people are either too lazy or not smart enough to handle spellcasting monsters. 🤷‍♂️ (When it should be the best thing about them IMO!!!)

Someday, we won't have spellcasting PCs either, just spell-like abilities. So many people already love the warlock. Very limited spell slots, spell-like abilities.... look familiar? :(

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Because Monsters and NPCs don't run by the same rules as PCs, and haven't all Edition. The stat block is not an exhaustive simulation of everything the character Vecna may be capable of outside of combat, it's a facade meant to simulate a 12-18 second fight with that character.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Because it is more interesting and easier run than a list of spells.
It isn't more interesting though, it is rather meh IMO. Frankly, if the PCs are finally going to face Vecna, the DM should take the time to prep the lich accordingly. I mean, come on, a frickin' lich without a single 8th or 9th-level spell???

please don't insult someone's intelligence because you don't like a monster design. I am smart enough (I can be explicit if you want), but I don't like the extra hassle of running a magic using monster that is just a list of spells.
Lazy was also an option in my post. ;) (j/k)

Look, they could have at least given Vecna abilities comparable with an archmage since it is a lich after all. 🤷‍♂️

Thank god we know Vecna can cast prestidigitation.
Important combat information. :)
Hmm... Vecna has Mage Hand and Prestidigitation... fewer cantrips than a 1st-level Wizard... Some powerful "Archlich" :ROFLMAO:

Voadam

Legend
I have not delved into my new MotM book yet, can Vecna upcast his at will lightning bolts the way he could have if he had spell slots?

Remove ads