• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Spider-man no way home trailer

Janx

Hero
I cannot speak to the specific item, but it is known that there was heavy pressure on Raimi to do things in that movie that he didn't really think were great ideas - like have Venom at all.
probably the unexpected part is that after having delivered good first 2 movies, I'd expect less interference on the 3rd as you'd figure the studio trusted the guy to keep making it good.

Guess not

Rune

Once A Fool
probably the unexpected part is that after having delivered good first 2 movies, I'd expect less interference on the 3rd as you'd figure the studio trusted the guy to keep making it good.

Guess not
I don’t think that’s really how studios work, though. Generally, more money invested means more studio interference. There’s a reason most sequels feel tonally entirely different than (or like hollow imitations of) the original.

It’s a rare director who has had enough success to have carte blanche. And even that may not last for their whole career.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don’t think that’s really how studios work, though.

It does seem to be how Marvel under Disney works, though. While I am sure the studio has a lot of requirements, they seem to front-load those, and they don't seem to mess with the directors too much once things are really rolling, so long as they stick to the requirements.

Unless someone has citations otherwise? Because Marvel has allowed... a lot of weird stuff that you'd wonder if it would work out.

Rune

Once A Fool
It does seem to be how Marvel under Disney works, though. While I am sure the studio has a lot of requirements, they seem to front-load those, and they don't seem to mess with the directors too much once things are really rolling, so long as they stick to the requirements.

Unless someone has citations otherwise? Because Marvel has allowed... a lot of weird stuff that you'd wonder if it would work out.
These days, yes. A decade ago, not so much.

Remove ads