New system Idea

Ferret

Explorer
New system:

6 Stats;
Body - Brute and Agility
Soul - Charm and Heart
Mind - Wits and Weave

'Several' skills designed to be general and have certain uses when coupled with certain stats. I.e, Art + Weave can produce various illusions, Talk + Charm is the same as bluff, Talk + Heart is more like Diplomacy.

You can only apply as much skill to a roll as you have ability to use with it. So social monkey has boosted Talk and charm. He wants to intimidate someone, so uses Brute + Talk. However with only 2 points in brute the most you can add to the roll is 2, giving a maximum possible is 4.

The Combt skill is broken into Defence and Offence, with one point in combat giving two in either Defence or Offence or one in each. Letting people focus or not.

Rolling on anything is a dicepool affair, Skill + Ability, number of successes determines margin of success highest roll has a peripheral effect. Size of Illusion, Location of strike etc. Still unsure.

How to do combat? Possibly by combining two stats that represent Fighting style. I.e. a Wizard might use Weave + Wits. Opposed roles are made, the difference if the damage you take. Hit points are based on your stats. I've not sorted the fundamentals yet. Though I want to build it so that defenses are warn down (Wounds) and then you get to the lethal part (Vitality).

A feat system, yet to be developed, will allow 'fun' things to be done with the skills and abilities. Though I don't know what.

Dice will be D12s maybe? Just to be awkward? Max stats will be 6 for abilities and skills.

Hows does this all sound? Sorry for the brain dump! not sure what else to discuss about this.

Questions?

Lots of things going on here. I'd start by thinking about my main goals with a new system. Have you thought about them? If the answer is yes, does the various abilities described accomplish it decently? If the answer is no, time to decide on that, before making a system that you can't identify as the next GURPS, D&D or Call of Cthullu.

Honestly, it's hard to give a meaningful opinion without knowing what you want to accomplish with your new system.

Cheers,

Ferret

Explorer
My main aims for the system is to give all 'classes' even footing in terms of combat and other abilities, so the only real difference is the description. In this sense I'm after flexibility.

On the other hand, I really wanted a system that isn't simulationist. I wanted something where a player says, "I want to do this!" and then the DM and the player can work out how. Not where the DM says, "No, you can't do that. Try this". So I want it to be more descriptive, not prescriptive. (Sort of like the flexibility up there :p )

I'd like it to play like a fable, or legends. This is why I have Brute, to do Strength and Constitution, and Wits to do quick thinking, and intelligence. It's turning out (unintentionally) a bit like Exalted. I want every hero to be magical, whether he is a Mage or a Warrior or a Rogue. They're hero's because they can wield this magic through a sword, though a voice or through wielding it in it's rawest form.

Anything else that you'd like to know? What I've discussed in the first post seems to work well with what I want it to feel like. But I don't know if it will work, and do what I want.

What I need most help with is sorting out a feat/merit system, to allow people to do certain things with a certain set of skills, to give it flavour. I don't want people to just roll to attack. I want to put more flavour into the game.

Also sorting out how combat, attacks, 'hit points' work together. I want it to flow, and be unique for each person.

Wik

First Post
WHy not use d12s for dice, and keep the highest two, just to keep math down? Characters could have stats at 2d12, 5d12, or whatever. And if they were dropped below 2d12 due to modifiers, they would roll the indicated dice, and keep the WORST two.

So, you'd have -4d12, -3d12, 2d12, +3d12, +4d12, and so on.

Skills represent the number of dice you roll... attributes are a flat modifier added onto the end (or, even easier, the base target number for sklll checks to hit... so if you had a strength of 15, that would mean when making a skill check that relied on strength, you'd have to hit 15 or higher... different difficulties would modify the number of dice you roll, not the target number).

Just an idea... I used something sort of similar in a game I designed years ago. Works well, and runs fast (since adding two dice together is super fast).

Ferret

Explorer
I was thinking of having skills on stats 1-6, normla people having stats 1-2, Heros 2-4, and legends 4-6. Of course I have no idea what those tiers are, but once you have your stats, you roll up your 8d12, numbers above X (maybe 11 and 12, or 10, 11, 12?) are success. I dislike the idea of subtracting for failures.

Just checking here http://catlikecoding.com/anydice/?dice=6d12c{10%2C11%2C12}

Various combinations give good results, you get a few success for sure at certain levels. But nothing with silly amounts of success.

Remove ads