D&D 3E/3.5 New to gaming - Should I wait for 4E or should buy the 3E Core Rules?

Psion

Adventurer
Kida said:
Looks like there are plenty of options in the SRD.

Psionics, eh? Never understood how that fit into fantasy.

Read the Darkover novels or Deryni novels sometime. :cool:

As for the answer to your question: what are the people you think you are going to be playing with playing?

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Do you have an established group you're going to join?

If so, they'll pretty much decide this for you. Expect to reference a Player's Handbook or the System Reference Document, but you won't need much else.

If not, and you're likely to be running the game, I strongly recommend you look into some of the simpler systems on the market. The days when D&D was a good choice for a new gamer pretty much died when TSR cut off "Basic" D&D to focus on "Advanced." If you can find a copy, look into Spirit of the Century or Savage Worlds (both much simpler systems that have a lot of good advice for a new game master). Or, if you can find a copy of Basic D&D (either the "Red Box" or the "Rules Cyclopaedia," both out of print from TSR Incorporated), that's a game very friendly to new game masters.

Alternately, if you're at all interested in Star Wars, consider the recently released Star Wars Saga Edition, which is a really excellent, somewhat simplified implementation of the "d20 system" that underlies D&D. It should be easier to pick up, being a simpler game and one for which you have very strong media 'hooks' to grasp concepts with and then explain them to players. It's also widely touted as being a sort of 'testbed' for D&D 4e, so in a certain sense it's a chance to get used to 4e before its release.

Stormtower

First Post
As others have said, 3.x is not the most accessible system to teach oneself as a new tabletop gamer. The 3.5 SRD plus waiting on 4e might be your best choice, since the designers of 4e have raved about its ease of play and accessibility (that has yet to be seen, but I have confidence in the design abilities of Mearls, Wyatt et. al.).

However, as a 3.5 fan I'd urge you to find a group that's still playing 3.5 and try it out with the SRD as your primary reference. The game seems much easier to master when it's taught from the ground up (i.e. 1st level forward with a new party) by an experienced DM.

T. Foster

First Post
Seriously: buy this for $4.00 (or, if you prefer hardcopy, you should be able to get one off of ebay or amazon for $10 or less). This edition is easy to understand for players and DMs alike, and by the time you've exhausted its possibilities 4E will be released and you can either move on to it or to one of these: Expert Set, Rules Cyclopedia. Much better idea than either trying to teach yourself to play via the SRD or dropping $90 on a set of books that will be obsolete in 6 months (or waiting 6 months to start playing).

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Find the Basic Game at a Half price books or something. It is a low cost to entry, and easy to run. If you play around with that and the SRD, you could play 2-6 nights easily.

T. Foster said:
Seriously: buy this for $4.00 (or, if you prefer hardcopy, you should be able to get one off of ebay or amazon for $10 or less). This edition is easy to understand for players and DMs alike, and by the time you've exhausted its possibilities 4E will be released and you can either move on to it or to one of these...
I'll second that.

That particular version of the D&D Basic Set is, hands-down, the best edition for learning the game, especially if you're starting your own group, rather than joining an existing one. The writing is aimed at younger readers, but it's an excellent introduction to how the game, and with that under your belt you'll be in a good position to move on to the edition of your choice.

wedgeski

Adventurer
If you intend to move on to the newest edition next year, then you probably don't want to spend you money on 3.5 as you won't really digest it all by the time 4ed rolls around. However 3.5 will give you an excellent taste of D&D, and it's probably what all the groups you'll encounter will be playing. The SRD is your best bet, for sure.

Turanil

First Post
Kida said:
As the title says, I am very new to gaming. My cousin raves about 3E, but has also told me of the impending 4E release next June. I'm not sure what to do. Please help.
Wait for june. When 4e is released, try to read through both 3e and 4e and see what you seem to prefer best. If you happen to prefer 3e, its books will be at a discount when 4e is released. IMO, the best option for you is to wait. But this doesn't prevent you to join a game of 3e as a player, and see how it plays...

Kida

Banned
Banned
Thanks for all the advice. One more q:

My cousin told me I could borrow some of his 2E books, should I even bother looking at them?

Remove ads