• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New troglodytes

Irda Ranger

First Post
No, no, no ...

Mammal -- Reptilian
Human :: Dragonborn
Bugbear :: Lizardmen
Halfling :: Kobold
Grimlock :: Troglodytes
Half-Fiend :: Yuan-Ti
Mermen :: Kuo-Toa
Sea-elves :: Sauhuagin

Did I miss anything?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Nebulous said:
3e slaadi. I expect that 4e slaadi will be very different.
Given the Abyss' place in the new cosmology, I imagine they'll be more chaotic forerunners of demons, which should hopefully expand the choices quite a bit.

Simia Saturnalia

First Post
Rechan said:
Perhaps I'm just not up on my mythos, but isn't that what the trogs are?
Unlikely, as Deep Ones are ocean-dwelling. The best D&D analog are kuo-toa, if Deep Ones were driven from the ocean bottom and went soft and primitive and crazy.

EDIT: Deep One .

Cthulhudrew

First Post
grimslade said:
While I like previous Trog art better, the new art makes a little more sense. As Simia noted, they look like burrowers.

The Trogs weren't ever burrowers, though, that I recall. They were always just stinky, xenophobic chameleons that lived in caves. Just because you live in caves doesn't mean you have to be able to dig them yourself.

Simia Saturnalia

First Post
Cthulhudrew said:
The Trogs weren't ever burrowers, though, that I recall. They were always just stinky, xenophobic chameleons that lived in caves. Just because you live in caves doesn't mean you have to be able to dig them yourself.
But now they could. Won't that be nice for them? :D

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Cthulhudrew said:

I know but the cave dwelling trog in previous editions was too skinny. They should dwarf-like I guess, Neanderthal even.

TwinBahamut

First Post
Entertaining discussion of humanoid reptiles aside, I think the art for the 4E Troglodyte looks good enough. I would compare it to the 3E Troglodyte, but I can't remember what it looks like at all.

Just looking at the online art gallery, I see why I didn't remember the 3E Trog... It just isn't very memorable. Of course, with the vast variety of humanoid lizards, amphibians, and fish, it is hard for any of them to remain memorable. They could probably trim down the number of them appearing in the first Monster Manual for 4E.

Rechan

Adventurer
Simia Saturnalia said:
Unlikely, as Deep Ones are ocean-dwelling. The best D&D analog are kuo-toa, if Deep Ones were driven from the ocean bottom and went soft and primitive and crazy.

EDIT: Deep One .
Looks more like a sahuagin.

The designers said that they're making critters' abilities more distinct (so when you fight gnolls, you know you're fighting gnolls), I imagine we'll see the difference in fighting trogs versus others.

Last edited:

RPG_Tweaker

Explorer
I've never used the D&D version of Troglodyte. I remember reading the entry in BD&D and wondered where the hell they came up with a stinky lizard-guy. Especially since they already had Lizardmen.

This is more what I expected the Troglodyte to be like.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads