Unearthed Arcana New UA: 43 D&D Class Feature Variants

The latest Unearthed Arcana is a big 13-page document! “Every character class in D&D has features, and every class gets one or more class feature variants in today’s Unearthed Arcana! These variants replace or enhance a class’s normal features, giving you new ways to enjoy your character’s class.”

The latest Unearthed Arcana is a big 13-page document! “Every character class in D&D has features, and every class gets one or more class feature variants in today’s Unearthed Arcana! These variants replace or enhance a class’s normal features, giving you new ways to enjoy your character’s class.”

B080A4DE-6E00-44A2-9047-F53CB302EA6D.png

Spell versatility for the Bard and Sorcerer is the worst example of power creep. It steps all over the Wizards domain.

What I disapprove of is the Wizard suddenly being the only caster limited to a subset of their class spell list on a given day. I have a game where I'm considering having my wizard track down and learn invisibility for an upcoming scheme. There is also a Sorcerer in the party. Instead of it being something we have to work for where my special skill to learn spells between levels pays off, under this system my wizard would just be the nerdy loser who can't master any spell by sleeping.

Chaosmancer

Legend
What I disapprove of is the Wizard suddenly being the only caster limited to a subset of their class spell list on a given day. I have a game where I'm considering having my wizard track down and learn invisibility for an upcoming scheme. There is also a Sorcerer in the party. Instead of it being something we have to work for where my special skill to learn spells between levels pays off, under this system my wizard would just be the nerdy loser who can't master any spell by sleeping.

Question: Does the Sorcerer have invisibility right now? Do they want to have invisibility? Would they be willing to lose one of their 2 second level spells to instead have Invisibility?

Sure, you can look at this in the worst light (I'm suddenly a loser who has to actual study instead of being born gifted beyond measure) but the decision for the sorcerer is a significant choice of allocating limited resources, perhaps even in a way they didn't want to use those resources in the first place. Where, for the wizard it is merely time and money being spent, and once they have a spell that is honestly quite useful, they have it forever and lost no other spells in the process.

Remove ads

Remove ads