D&D 5E New Unearthed Arcana: Folk of the Feywild!

Wander into the magical realm of the Feywild with our latest Unearthed Arcana: Folk of the Feywild! Your character can be a member of one of the new D&D races: fairy, hobgoblin of the Feywild, owlfolk, or rabbitfolk. Which will you choose? Playtest now: https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthedarcana/folk_feywild

Wander into the magical realm of the Feywild with our latest Unearthed Arcana: Folk of the Feywild!

Your character can be a member of one of the new D&D races: fairy, hobgoblin of the Feywild, owlfolk, or rabbitfolk. Which will you choose?

Playtest now:

45029A1A-E1B6-4BBD-93DB-33A363112735.jpeg

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
No, I think Feywild and Shadowfell alone are more than enough to involve hobgoblins, depending on exactly what folklore, myths and legends you're reading. Goblins or hobgoblins are often depicted as a part of the Unseelie Court. The Wild Hunt is variously depicted as being led by the fairy king, the yule king, or the goblin king (or Odin, in some tales).
That's a good way of putting it that gives them an out for making the Dar subraces written as people rather than somewhat more human monsters in a setting neutral way

That's a good way of putting it that gives them an out for making the Dar subraces written as people rather than somewhat more human monsters in a setting neutral way

I think it would be a good way of separating goblinoids from orcs, which feel too similar to me. Elves and gnomes could be ancestors of the Seelie Court, while goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears could be ancestors of the Unseelie Court. Hmm... interesting idea making elves and goblins more fae. Interesting implications with truth telling and bargains.

That also leaves orcs to be the more nomadic, forest-dwelling, and chaotic counterpart to the more settled or lawful humans.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I always wonder how anthro settings handle food. Like, do Fox people eat Rabbit people?
It's front & center in beastars & a big part of the story from the episode one opening
I think it would be a good way of separating goblinoids from orcs, which feel too similar to me. Elves and gnomes could be ancestors of the Seelie Court, while goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears could be ancestors of the Unseelie Court. Hmm... interesting idea making elves and goblins more fae. Interesting implications with truth telling and bargains.

That also leaves orcs to be the more nomadic, forest-dwelling, and chaotic counterpart to the more settled or lawful humans.
It could & don't think it would conflict with anything in eberron lore since it's never been said where the dhakaani originate from & not much has been said about them

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I always wonder how anthro settings handle food. Like, do Fox people eat Rabbit people?
All of these settings -- even in cartoons like Peppa Pig -- seem to have a divide between sentient bipedial animals and non-sentient animals that walk on four legs (or slither or fly or swim).

On the other hand, there's always the Zootopia approach, which comes down to "yes, but we don't talk about Uncle Reynard in mixed company."

Eating any other intelligent being pretty universally substitutes for the cannibalism taboo in D&D settings, IMX. It probably wouldn't be a perfect translation -- the taboo may have nature as well as nurture components to it --- but it solves the player-side disgust of eating things that talk. Ignoring that is part of the reason some monsters are monsters to the playable races.

In general I would assume most anthropomorphic races are omnivorous like humans. I would do that mainly because it will be the easiest to associate with as a player. I might be playing a foxman or a rabbitwoman, but either way I want to have a big mug of ale when I go into the tavern or raise a toast when I share the hospitality of a duke's table. A given form might favor certain diets, just as a certain character might. If you really want to get into the simulation nuances of obligate carnivore survival when all you've got is Murlynd's Spoon, go for it, but that's not really why I'm at the table.

Faolyn

(she/her)
They do deserve it, too - their stuff is lovely. It's been on my my list to buy when I have a good excuse to use it for a while :)
My mother gave me money to fund the kickstarter for my birthday way back when, and I have to say, it's a lovely world. It feels like a pretty low-level one, though--it's not a setting I can easily imagine epic arcs in.

ccooke

Adventurer
My mother gave me money to fund the kickstarter for my birthday way back when, and I have to say, it's a lovely world. It feels like a pretty low-level one, though--it's not a setting I can easily imagine epic arcs in.

The only reason I've not given them any money is that I'm already running technically three games and I have a backlog that I want to run at some point - there's no way I'm going to be able to fit in any time to use it in the next year or two.

Remove ads

Remove ads