D&D 5E New Unearthed Arcana: Heroes of Krynn Revisited

WotC's Jeremy Crawford has announced a new Unearthed Arcana article today with redesigns from the prior Heroes of Krynn UA based on feedback, and in the following video he discusses that feedback and what's in the article: New iteration of Kender based on feedback survey, due to mixed response. This time is a back to basics, aiming to capture 1E AD&D fearlessness, curiosity and taunting...

WotC's Jeremy Crawford has announced a new Unearthed Arcana article today with redesigns from the prior Heroes of Krynn UA based on feedback, and in the following video he discusses that feedback and what's in the article:
  • New iteration of Kender based on feedback survey, due to mixed response. This time is a back to basics, aiming to capture 1E AD&D fearlessness, curiosity and taunting skills. Delve into their origins from Gnomes in deep history.
  • Kender are no longer fey creatures who grab objects from the Feywild
  • Tweaked Feats from prior article
  • Tweaked Backgrounds from prior article
  • Brand new rule giving a list of free Feats for ANY Background
  • Free Feat rule for Level 4 for all characters that doesn't take the ASI away, based on a curated list
  • Reveals that in the Adventure, healing magic is already back.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
too bad if it is on my sheet it is NOT for you to decide.

this is EXACTLY what turns otherwise good role playing players into monsters at tables... "I didn't take your ring of protection I took the locket your lover gave you" no... just no.

no... if it is a curse the KENDER has they should deal with it, not other players.

Tasslehoff was controled by the writer who controled ALL characters... he as such was 100% in control of everything. At the table you ONLY control your character... Don't F with other players and justfy it as RP.

rename Kender human and imagine this "My human character is only taking other peoples stuff cause I am cursed" no... just no

its on the flavor text in the books

All I see from people who complain about Kender is "I (or the problem causing player) have no idea how to play a Kender, so it's the Kenders fault."

Perhaps playing a bog standard human would be more that person's speed when it comes to RP.

I honestly can't imagine picking a race and not trying to RP them as such. Not everything is a human that just looks different.

Remathilis

Legend
Well, I have to say, that new UA certainly succeeded. No more kender discussions. Success!

All they had to do was turn Kender into straight up halflings and everyone is happy. It works I suppose.
If it was 2016 or so, kender would have been a subrace of halfling like it was in the playtest packet. But subraces aren't a thing anymore, so this is basically a halfling subrace written as a full race written as a full race, and a possible look at what 5.5e's halflings might look like.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
If it was 2016 or so, kender would have been a subrace of halfling like it was in the playtest packet. But subraces aren't a thing anymore, so this is basically a halfling subrace written as a full race written as a full race, and a possible look at what 5.5e's halflings might look like.

Except it has the kender origins as gnomes now? (Oh, now I'm picturing the explosion if 5.5e halflings are just gnomes that drifted from the fey origin and are disconnected form it :-/ ).

Weiley31

Legend
I'm betting balance was behind the decision. That's a LOT of Superiority Dice coming back on short rests with a LOT of maneuvers to pick from. It's probably a good thing that I don't care about balance as much as WotC does. :)

I'm sure that scared them...
Jeremy Crawford wakes up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat.
"What's wrong?"
Jeremy Crawford: I, felt a disturbance, as if a million bounded accuracy tables screamed out in terror, and suddenly silenced....

Kenreck: Jeremy.....you REALLY have to stop popping out from behind my couch like this....don't you have house to go to?

Jeremy Crawford crawls under the table in the living room.

Jeremy Crawford: I'm already home. proceeds to hug the leg of the table.

Last edited:

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Except it has the kender origins as gnomes now? (Oh, now I'm picturing the explosion if 5.5e halflings are just gnomes that drifted from the fey origin and are disconnected form it :-/ ).

Its unique to Krynn (Dragonlance). There were just Gnomes. They messed with Chaos magic and some got turned into Kender and some into Dwarves (The dwarves will never admit this).

All I see from people who complain about Kender is "I (or the problem causing player) have no idea how to play a Kender, so it's the Kenders fault."

Perhaps playing a bog standard human would be more that person's speed when it comes to RP.

I honestly can't imagine picking a race and not trying to RP them as such. Not everything is a human that just looks different.
naughty word

People who play for years, and have dozens of characters with not a problem (or in some case just no major ones) turn into jerks trying to duplicate the kender personality because they aren't good gamers... and no other race causes the same issues with the same players... but lets pretend that kender ISNT the common factor

Its unique to Krynn (Dragonlance). There were just Gnomes. They messed with Chaos magic and some got turned into Kender and some into Dwarves (The dwarves will never admit this).
No, they were a proto race called the Smiths. The smiths chased down the Graygem of Gargath, and they were split into Dwarves, Gnomes, and Kender.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
No, they were a proto race called the Smiths. The smiths chased down the Graygem of Gargath, and they were split into Dwarves, Gnomes, and Kender.
It depends on the version. I believe the Tales of Krynn box from 2nd ed tells it like you say. In the original 1e Dragonlance Adventures book, however, gnomes turned into kender and dwarves, and gnomes themselves were transformed by Reaorx.

Remove ads

Remove ads