D&D 5E New Unearthed Arcana: Heroes of Krynn Revisited

WotC's Jeremy Crawford has announced a new Unearthed Arcana article today with redesigns from the prior Heroes of Krynn UA based on feedback, and in the following video he discusses that feedback and what's in the article: New iteration of Kender based on feedback survey, due to mixed response. This time is a back to basics, aiming to capture 1E AD&D fearlessness, curiosity and taunting...

WotC's Jeremy Crawford has announced a new Unearthed Arcana article today with redesigns from the prior Heroes of Krynn UA based on feedback, and in the following video he discusses that feedback and what's in the article:
  • New iteration of Kender based on feedback survey, due to mixed response. This time is a back to basics, aiming to capture 1E AD&D fearlessness, curiosity and taunting skills. Delve into their origins from Gnomes in deep history.
  • Kender are no longer fey creatures who grab objects from the Feywild
  • Tweaked Feats from prior article
  • Tweaked Backgrounds from prior article
  • Brand new rule giving a list of free Feats for ANY Background
  • Free Feat rule for Level 4 for all characters that doesn't take the ASI away, based on a curated list
  • Reveals that in the Adventure, healing magic is already back.

Undrave

Legend
Still find it hard to care about Dragonlance as a game setting. I'm sure the books are great but it doesn't feel like it has much to offer anymore as game setting. The game has moved past it in the last decades.

The dice pools are separate. The Battle Master and Martial Adept pools merge and come back on short or long rests, and can be used on any maneuver you know, including those from the Solomnia feats. The dice from the Solomnia feats are separate and only come back after a long rest and can only be used on maneuvers from Solomnia feats.
Why make things simple when it's so simple to make things complicated huh?
I remember watching the de-funification of TVtropes. It was very sad.

And people wonder why I'm so against taking D&D seriously.
Well then, you might enjoy TFWiki. It's very sassy.

Helena Real

Dame of Solamnia (she/her)
My overwhelming love for the Battle Master as my fave Fighter Subclass aside, if I was DMing and player asked if they could treat all the Superiority Die as just one pool and use any of the Superiority Die for any of the Maneuvers, including the Squire of Solamnia/Knightly Order feats, I'd probably rule that yeah, any of the Maneuvers you have can be powered by all of your Superiority Die regardless of the source.

Seems a bit annoying/slight forgettable upkeep to keep track of two separate pools/maneuver uses.

That's just me though.
I'd allow it too, for sure. In fact, I may even offer it as the default for now.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
but why take ANYTHING from another player? who are you (kender player) to decide what is and isn't important?

I remember (non kender jerk story) I had a DM who hates that I was 2 weapon fighting taking a -2 to my main hand and -4 or -6 to off hand (I can't remember exactly). the thing is I had a whole story I partially shared about my dead dad giving me his spear... that was my off hamd weapon. I even turned down a magic spear once. (well I kept it on my back and threw it as my ranged attack)... so one day the DM gave me an inteligent axe (my main weapon) a +5 axe with like 4 different cool powers... but it forced a saving throw Vs death magic or forced you to drop all other weapons... I failed it, he was happy to be rid of my 'dumb useless spear' and I was pissed... I still play with the guy (he has since apologized) and to this day he insists he didn't know it meant ANYTHING to me or my character...

Because a Kender doesnt value things like a normal character. a dinged up bent coin may be far more interesting than just another pouch of gold.

There are aids there to help you RP the curse all Kender have. The random items they "find" in their pouches reflects this. If the player choose to circumvent this that's on them.

Because a Kender doesnt value things like a normal character. a dinged up bent coin may be far more interesting than just another pouch of gold.
too bad if it is on my sheet it is NOT for you to decide.

this is EXACTLY what turns otherwise good role playing players into monsters at tables... "I didn't take your ring of protection I took the locket your lover gave you" no... just no.
There are aids there to help you RP the curse all Kender have.
no... if it is a curse the KENDER has they should deal with it, not other players.

Tasslehoff was controled by the writer who controled ALL characters... he as such was 100% in control of everything. At the table you ONLY control your character... Don't F with other players and justfy it as RP.

rename Kender human and imagine this "My human character is only taking other peoples stuff cause I am cursed" no... just no
The random items they "find" in their pouches reflects this. If the player choose to circumvent this that's on them.
its on the flavor text in the books

Undrave

Legend
too bad if it is on my sheet it is NOT for you to decide.

this is EXACTLY what turns otherwise good role playing players into monsters at tables... "I didn't take your ring of protection I took the locket your lover gave you" no... just no.
Well the Kender player could say "Hey Bill, my Kender is getting the impulse to take a random thing from your character, got something useless?" "Hm... how about the stopper of my emptied potion bottle?" "Works for me!"
I'm betting balance was behind the decision. That's a LOT of Superiority Dice coming back on short rests with a LOT of maneuvers to pick from. It's probably a good thing that I don't care about balance as much as WotC does. :)
I think they're overly cautious with superiority dices

Remove ads

Remove ads