• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New Unearthed Arcana Playtest Includes Barbarian, Druid, and Monk

New barbarian, druid, and monk versions, plus spells and weapons, and a revised Ability Score Improvement feat.

The latest Unearthed Arcana playtest packet is now live with new barbarian, druid, and monk versions, as well as new spells and weapons, and a revised Ability Score Improvement feat.

WHATS INSIDE

Here are the new and revised elements in this article:

Classes. Three classes are here: Barbarian, Druid, and Monk. Each one includes one subclass: Path of the World Tree (Barbarian), Circle of the Moon (Druid), and Warrior of the Hand (Monk).

Spells. New and revised spells are included.

The following sections were introduced in a previous article and are provided here for reference:

Weapons. Weapon revisions are included.

Feats. This includes a revised version of Ability Score Improvement.

Rules Glossary. The rules glossary includes the few rules that have revised definitions in the playtest. In this document, any underlined term in the body text appears in the glossary.

Well, here's my takes

Barbarian continues to look awesome. The fixes to Rage are brilliant, Brutal Strikes are good, I'm liking everything. The only thing I would do is move Brutal Strikes down to 5, then the other two shuffled down to fill in the blanks.

Druid... made me sad. They're pushing it to be even more like the Cleric, even getting a bunch of radiance damage spells. I mean, the moon spells look decent, but... Its to the point I'm feeling like its only identity is "wildshape." I'm withholding final judgement on Moon until I see the PHB stat blocks, but its not looking good.

Healing spells, looking good. Conjure spells? They're working like Spirit Weapon and a few others, which I can get behind. Going to need more playtesting. Though... Conjure Minor Elements and its boost to wizard and druid attack damage? The two casters without Extra Attack on most of their stuff? Is that really worth a level 4 slot? And why is Warlock and Sorcerer not getting any of the Conjuration love again?!?! Like, bleh. Dragons can literally make elementals from their breath, and calling upon extra planar beings is the warlock's thing. Hells, Conjure Elementals was an invocation and Conjure Fey was outright on the warlock list!

And now, for the Monk. The Monk is definitely a huge improvement over the 2014 and the UA6 versions. No argument there. That said? This is the Monk we needed in 2014. In 2024? When even the Fighter and Barbarian are getting turn-by-turn decision points? Have skill bonuses? Weapon Masteries? Monk is still behind the curve when it comes to martials- it needs all the stuff that martials are getting now in addition to coming up where they should have been back in 2014.

A rogue using two short swords deals an average of 12.275 damage at level 2, or 8.775 with just one attack and a use of Cunning Action. If we use scimitars instead, we get an average of 8.775 to 11.48 (depending on Advantage from CA) and a use of Cunning Action.
A level 2 monk just using Martial Arts BA attack deals 8.45 on average, which is bumped up to 12.675 with Flurry, and down to if you 4.225 use Patient Defense or Step. The Monk needs to spend DP to match the Rogue's turn by turn, no cost damage output. Doing anything other than damage really, really hurts their output. And the Rogue gets out of combat stuff in addition to this.

I'm worried the Monk is still the worst class of the game, and once the shiny new paint wears off, everyone will feel the flaws.

I'm worried the Monk is still the worst class of the game, and once the shiny new paint wears off, everyone will feel the flaws.

Monks now effectively have double the ki/discipline points. That's really, really strong. And there are lot of other buffs, too, like being able to grapple with dexterity and deflect/redirect melee attacks. I wouldn't worry -- the new monk looks like a house.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads