Unearthed Arcana New Unearthed Arcana: Psionics!

There’s a new Unearthed Arcana article out, and it’s all about psionics! "Their minds bristling with power, three new subclasses arrive in today’s Unearthed Arcana: the Psychic Warrior for the fighter, the Soulknife for the rogue, and the tradition of Psionics for the wizard."

There’s a new Unearthed Arcana article out, and it’s all about psionics! "Their minds bristling with power, three new subclasses arrive in today’s Unearthed Arcana: the Psychic Warrior for the fighter, the Soulknife for the rogue, and the tradition of Psionics for the wizard."

safe_image.php.jpg

In this 9-page PDF, there are also some new psionics-themed spells (including versions of classic psionic powers like id insinuation and ego whip) and two new feats.

drl2

Explorer
I like the idea of psionic powers in general in a D&D setting, but back in my AD&D days (after which I took a 30ish year break and returned to 5e a year or so ago :p) they were a clunky optional add-on. Dragon Magazine introduced a Psionicist class back in the 80s, which looked fun, though I never had a chance to play one.

Not sure how I feel about adding them back in via sub-classes. Part of the appeal in the old days was that they were independent of class, so they offered some really interesting flexibility... but of course this method could introduce all sorts of balance issues, and I don't remember there being any down side to compensate for the added abilities. I suppose if I were to run a more old-school variation of Psi powers in a campaign these days, I'd introduce some in-world story elements to compensate: they're illegal in most places, for instance, and the penalties for getting caught using them can be pretty severe; or Mind Flayers are hunting the Psi-enabled and harvesting their brains. Psi powers are illegal most places because Mind Flayers have influenced legal authorities to co-opt them into helping in their brain harvests?

Sacrosanct

Legend
I see a lot of comments about how WoTC gave up, or are too lazy, or are playing it too safe. None of those are reasons. Jeremy gave the reason, and it comes down to raw numbers. Not enough people played or used psionics in the past to warrant putting out a new system. That's not lazy, or too conservative, or giving up. That's a pure business standpoint.

I'd really like to see a shaman class with a spirit summoning totem mechanic, but if no one is going to end up playing with that, I can understand why WoTC wouldn't waste their time, energy, and money doing it. Especially when I can create it in 3PP if I really had to have it. Ideal? Of course not.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Psionic spells are not special, and that might not go over well with a lot of people. The special part comes from the class abilities so hopefully the final product works well in that regard.

If I adopt this approach, the new spells that are classified as psionics would not be freely available to other classes as a general rule.

When a "regular" bard say wanted one of those, we would discuss that fact that they are, at that time, gaining a psionic ability. (with rp and campaign considerations attached)

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
This isn't psionics. Just magic hand waved with a different name

What is psionics then? What is missing exactly?

It’s always been magic waived with a different name and points Instead of spell slots. Is it a spell book that has you upset? Is it the continued use of spell slots?

No, sir, I don't like it. Any of it.

We went from the best UA last time around to now easily the worst since 5e started.

I'm fine with Psychic Warrior and Soulknife being Fighter and Rogue subclasses, respectively, but they are pretty boring and underwhelming as shown. And Psionics Wizard instead of a full-class Psion ... no. Just ... no.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads