Unearthed Arcana New Unearthed Arcana: Psionics!

There’s a new Unearthed Arcana article out, and it’s all about psionics! "Their minds bristling with power, three new subclasses arrive in today’s Unearthed Arcana: the Psychic Warrior for the fighter, the Soulknife for the rogue, and the tradition of Psionics for the wizard."

There’s a new Unearthed Arcana article out, and it’s all about psionics! "Their minds bristling with power, three new subclasses arrive in today’s Unearthed Arcana: the Psychic Warrior for the fighter, the Soulknife for the rogue, and the tradition of Psionics for the wizard."

safe_image.php.jpg

In this 9-page PDF, there are also some new psionics-themed spells (including versions of classic psionic powers like id insinuation and ego whip) and two new feats.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
If my memory doesn't fail the name for that "ancestral memories" would be akasha, but this word may have got different meanings.
Akashic Memories I think means the worlds/universes own memories ... not exactly the same as ancestral or bloodline following (Genetic Memories) but not necessarily massively different in how one might make them in game terms.

Last edited:

Chaosmancer

Legend
As a thought exercise: Is Prof. X a wizard? If not, what makes him different from a wizard? This may sound silly, but the answers to these questions form the concept statement for what the psion should be both flavor and mechanics-wise.

I don't disagree with your over-arching point that Psionics are different than Arcane magic, but this is a really poor example. Different media portrays powers and sources differently.

I have read stories where "wizards" are just psychic individuals manipulating the atoms of the world and "psychics" are really just using magic to do things like talk to the dead or see the future. And a lot of things have crossover. IF a character can enter your dreams as you sleep, are they psychic or magical? Throw blasts of fire, psychic or magical?

Heck, Gandalf could be seen as a Psychic, all of the things he does are things that could potentially be seen through the lense of psychic powers. Pointing to literature characters who are not written with the intention of being seen through the DnD lense is not a good way to prove anything.

OB1

Jedi Master
I would be shocked if the Psion Wizard Tradition is meant to be THE psionic class for 5e. The abilities the tradition receives seem to make sense for a Wizard studying the mysteries of psionics and both trying to replicate some of those abilities with traditional spells while also gaining some direct psionic ability due to those studies.

This would fall in line with the Fighter/Rogue sub-classes, which do not rely on any spells to bring out the tradition, instead favoring direct abilities.

I would guess that we will see at least one more UAs on other Psionic sub-classes before getting a full Psionic class at the end of this round of UAs. For me, I'd like to see the Monk, Ranger and Sorcerer get a Psionic subclass option. But I wouldn't mind seeing Barbarian, Bard and Warlock get subclasses as well.

Magic vs psionic is like breaking bricks with a hammer (magic) and breaking bricks with your kung-fu special hit (psionic). Psionic doesn't need words, material components or somatic gestures. A psionic could be using telekinesis to destroy your crossbow in the middle of the street among a crowd and nobody would notice who has been the responsible.

In Dune the Bene Gesserit have genetic memories of all their female ancestors, with their special creation the Kwisatz Haderach having the ability to access all of their genetic memories. But would they necessarily be Wizards in D&D terms, that's probably not what I think they would be, even if there's a lot of study and ritual using spice involved. The fact that they are invested into bloodlines might mean they could be Sorcerers, and they happen to be very much into social skills too.

But such a concept like the Bene Gesserit very much could be a class such as a Psion, or maybe they're Bards.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
A psionic could be using telekinesis to destroy your crossbow in the middle of the street among a crowd and nobody would notice who has been the responsible.

In some depictions in media. In previous editions.

3rd edition people definitely knew you were using psionics because there were visible or audible displays that accompanied your powers. Not sure what 4e did.

As a thought exercise: Is Prof. X a wizard?
No, he is more like a sorcerer.

If not, what makes him different from a wizard?
His powers come from genetics, not study.
He doesn't use a spell book. All his "spells" he knows all the time.
He can't use elemental spells like lightning bolt and fireball.
He doesn't use v, s m components.

It should also be noted that in Prof X's universe there are actual wizards who use spellbooks, hand gestures and incantations. See Doctor Strange.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
In Dune the Bene Gesserit have genetic memories of all their female ancestors, with their special creation the Kwisatz Haderach having the ability to access all of their genetic memories. But would they necessarily be Wizards in D&D terms, that's probably not what I think they would be, even if there's a lot of study and ritual using spice involved. The fact that they are invested into bloodlines might mean they could be Sorcerers, and they happen to be very much into social skills too.

But such a concept like the Bene Gesserit very much could be a class such as a Psion, or maybe they're Bards.
I am considering hybrid monk regardless of that other element is mechanically I think it has psion flavor.. bard/psion /warlord however functionally they are enemy manipulators even more than ally enhancers which is actually something wizards often have. So the use of the voice has a Hypnosis style rather than encouraging the ally with historic fables. The ability to call on ancestral memories also reminds me of the wizards spell book activity.
In some depictions in media. In previous editions.

3rd edition people definitely knew you were using psionics because there were visible or audible displays that accompanied your powers. Not sure what 4e did.
In 4e you know the powers source if its an attack, but the details of why is something you can decide. Psionics might be minds eye picture of the attacker like in comic books or the same visuals from 3e reflavoring is approved.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I would be shocked if the Psion Wizard Tradition is meant to be THE psionic class for 5e. The abilities the tradition receives seem to make sense for a Wizard studying the mysteries of psionics and both trying to replicate some of those abilities with traditional spells while also gaining some direct psionic ability due to those studies.

This would fall in line with the Fighter/Rogue sub-classes, which do not rely on any spells to bring out the tradition, instead favoring direct abilities.

I would guess that we will see at least one more UAs on other Psionic sub-classes before getting a full Psionic class at the end of this round of UAs. For me, I'd like to see the Monk, Ranger and Sorcerer get a Psionic subclass option. But I wouldn't mind seeing Barbarian, Bard and Warlock get subclasses as well.

Crawford tipped his hand in the Beyond videos, we got the Psionic Sorcerer, Monk and son over the past three months already. And it looks like they are not going to make a dedicated Psion right now.

Still room for the mind rager barbarian and the oath of sanity (?) paladin.....

Too bad circle of dreams was already used or that would make a good name for a psychic druid subclass.

I would prefer that the psychic warrior's gig was to be able telekinetically use his/her melee weapon from a distance as long as they can see the weapon and what it is trying to hit.

Remove ads

Remove ads