Unearthed Arcana New Unearthed Arcana: Psionics!

There’s a new Unearthed Arcana article out, and it’s all about psionics! "Their minds bristling with power, three new subclasses arrive in today’s Unearthed Arcana: the Psychic Warrior for the fighter, the Soulknife for the rogue, and the tradition of Psionics for the wizard."

safe_image.php.jpg

In this 9-page PDF, there are also some new psionics-themed spells (including versions of classic psionic powers like id insinuation and ego whip) and two new feats.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vael

Legend
To me, the logical answer is to go with conventional spell slots. And then group spells and an ability or two into a Discipline. Like if a Cleric only prepared Domains.

So, consider: A full caster with Wizard Hit Dice. And then, instead of knowing or preparing spells, they can pick a Discipline, which might grant spells.

For example, Pyrokinesis is a Discipline that grants Produce Flame as a bonus cantrip, and then you get Burning Hands, Scorching Ray, Fireball and Immolation as soon as you reach the Psion level able to cast said spells.

The challenge is figuring out 6th level spells and higher, because I don't know fitting them into Disciplines works. That was notable in the Mystic.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
To me, the logical answer is to go with conventional spell slots. And then group spells and an ability or two into a Discipline. Like if a Cleric only prepared Domains.

So, consider: A full caster with Wizard Hit Dice. And then, instead of knowing or preparing spells, they can pick a Discipline, which might grant spells.

For example, Pyrokinesis is a Discipline that grants Produce Flame as a bonus cantrip, and then you get Burning Hands, Scorching Ray, Fireball and Immolation as soon as you reach the Psion level able to cast said spells.

The challenge is figuring out 6th level spells and higher, because I don't know fitting them into Disciplines works. That was notable in the Mystic.

That's pretty much how 3.5 handled it. The Psion specialized in a Discipline (Clairsentience, Metacreativity, Psychokinesis, Psychometabolism, Psychoportation, or Telepathy) which, in 5e, would be a subclass. Each Psion drew powers (psionic spells) from a base powers list and each Discipline had a list of powers unique to it (like a Cleric's Domain spells in 5e).

The Discipline subclasses would need a few extra feature thematic to that subclass, as is the case with Wizards, Sorcerers, etc.

Use Spell Slots and Spells Known, like a Sorcerer (but keyed off of Int) (point to the option of using Spell Points in the DMG for those that want it and default to Magical Transparency. Have psionic spells require no components, and Bob's your uncle. No new rules to learn.

Just give me the option of having psicrystals and astral contructsand such.

Vael

Legend
That's pretty much how 3.5 handled it.

Not quite. Psions still chose individual powers/spells. I'm using the Mystic, who chooses Disciplines, not individual powers (aside from cantrips or talents in this case), but reverse engineering the Mystic's individual powers into spells and then leaving them grouped. The Ardent and their mantles from 3.5 might be a closer match to what I'm proposing, but even the Ardent picks individual powers from their known mantles.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
The Psychic Warrior, as presented in this UA, is woefully lacking in options. I don't mind them not having spells, but there needs to be more variety in their powers and abilities. A great place to draw from would be the Psionic Feats (just make them class features instead) like Body Fuel, Deep Impact, Fell Shot, Mental Leap, Psionic Charge, Psionic Shot, Psionic Weapon, Return Shot, Sidestep Charge, Speed of Thought, Unavoidable Strike, Up the Walls, and Wounding Attack.

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
The thing with is, it isn't just easier to hit on consecutive tries.

It is easier for all saves to hit, making it one of the few debuffs in the game to affect saves of enemies. That is huge in some ways, since just giving someone a debuff on a save versus a worse effect is a big deal, let alone the damage coming with it.
Yah that escaped my mind. I agree.

Chaosmancer

Legend
The Psychic Warrior, as presented in this UA, is woefully lacking in options. I don't mind them not having spells, but there needs to be more variety in their powers and abilities. A great place to draw from would be the Psionic Feats (just make them class features instead) like Body Fuel, Deep Impact, Fell Shot, Mental Leap, Psionic Charge, Psionic Shot, Psionic Weapon, Return Shot, Sidestep Charge, Speed of Thought, Unavoidable Strike, Up the Walls, and Wounding Attack.

As someone who doesn't have the first clue where to look for Psionic feats from older editions, a quick summary of what some of those are supposed to do?

Aldarc

Legend
3. D&D has no motivation to create a system that equals or overshadows magic and it's one of the reasons that 3.5 WotC psionics pained me. It had flavor and rationale, but it couldn't replace magic, especially healing.
Dreamscarred Press created the Vitalist for Pathfinder, which basically was a psychic healer who linked the life-forces of their teammates.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases