Unearthed Arcana New Unearthed Arcana: Psionics!

There’s a new Unearthed Arcana article out, and it’s all about psionics! "Their minds bristling with power, three new subclasses arrive in today’s Unearthed Arcana: the Psychic Warrior for the fighter, the Soulknife for the rogue, and the tradition of Psionics for the wizard."

safe_image.php.jpg

In this 9-page PDF, there are also some new psionics-themed spells (including versions of classic psionic powers like id insinuation and ego whip) and two new feats.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord-Archaon

Explorer
For a discipline that's supposed be mastery of the mind, there's a whole lot of body modification going on in some of these ideas. Not that that's bad, per se, but it's pretty out there as far as effects go. Growing to size large, for example, is pretty far afield and straying dangerously close to being magic. GASP! Kidding, but you see what I mean.

For a psychic warrior, why not start with metabolic control influencing speed, strength and healing? Using the model above you could start off being able to buff one, and then work up to all three. There are a ton if effects and whatnot that could be layered on too.

I feel like the ask on what psionics should look like seems really high in some of the examples we've seen here and in other threads. Some of the mechanics seem fine, just a little OP I the nuts and bolts.

And I still think the Warlock is the best 5e engine for a Psionicist.

Yep, wanted to show how far out were psionics in 3.x, regarding body modification. Of course that body melding thing should be more like a 3rd level spell in power, but wanted to give examples only.

Of course, Warlock is a better model than Wizard, just like Battlemaster, being short rest-based.

But if basing on Warlock, a big deal would be the cantrips and the "invocations" (whatever they would be called like) modifying them. The two slots per rest would probably be used as ways to overcharge these special cantrips, or for durable "state of mind" passive powers.
A cool dynamic would then be choosing if to have buffs by keeping these states, or going all in with a psychic overcharge, losing concentration and associated buffs.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
That's pretty much how 3.5 handled it. The Psion specialized in a Discipline (Clairsentience, Metacreativity, Psychokinesis, Psychometabolism, Psychoportation, or Telepathy) which, in 5e, would be a subclass. Each Psion drew powers (psionic spells) from a base powers list and each Discipline had a list of powers unique to it (like a Cleric's Domain spells in 5e).

The Discipline subclasses would need a few extra feature thematic to that subclass, as is the case with Wizards, Sorcerers, etc.

Use Spell Slots and Spells Known, like a Sorcerer (but keyed off of Int) (point to the option of using Spell Points in the DMG for those that want it and default to Magical Transparency. Have psionic spells require no components, and Bob's your uncle. No new rules to learn.

Just give me the option of having psicrystals and astral contructsand such.
I agree except i always viewed psionics as more wisdom based. But I would play a psion like you describe it.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I agree except i always viewed psionics as more wisdom based. But I would play a psion like you describe it.

Common sense is a wisdom trait, and people with common sense don’t play psions. I kid! 😉

In all seriousness, I agree with you. Psionic ability seems more of a willpower thing to me, over a learning thing.

But for meta reasons, I understand why it would be INT

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
Common sense is a wisdom trait, and people with common sense don’t play psions. I kid! 😉

In all seriousness, I agree with you. Psionic ability seems more of a willpower thing to me, over a learning thing.

But for meta reasons, I understand why it would be INT
I’d like to see it implemented either way.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
As someone who doesn't have the first clue where to look for Psionic feats from older editions, a quick summary of what some of those are supposed to do?
That's a lot of ground to cover—from smite-like attacks, to being able to walk on walls to being able to charge without moving in a strait line to empowering your attack with magic, etc.. The D20 SRD has the psionic feats listed (and explained), you can find it here.

Ashrym

Legend
Perhaps, but the subclass should have enough moving parts to be comparable to an Eldritch Kight or Battlemaster.
Definitely. More options than the UA and less than 3e. The trick is finding a good enough balance and the reality is that will still leave some fans unhappy.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
For a discipline that's supposed be mastery of the mind, there's a whole lot of body modification going on in some of these ideas

I would say that Psionics in the D&D archetype is more "mastery of mind over all matter" than just "mastery of the mind" as is common in more Sci-fi or Super's (telepathy/TK).

Psionics in D&D has always (readmy experience is only since 2e) had the ability to do all of these:
  • Telepathy: mind-reading, communication
  • Telekinesis: moving objects with the power of your mind
  • Psychokinesis: direct control of elements/energy with your mind (think Firestarter, either King's or Barrymore's :p)
  • Psychoportation: moving your or other's bodies through space more efficiently. Either through teleportation effects or things like levitate/flight/skate/etc
  • Psychometabolism: these are body modification effects. Using your mind to change your body or heal it. Alter self, Animal Affinity (2e), enlarge/reduce, cure wounds to self, etc.
  • Clairsentience: seeing/hearing things from far off or divination type effects
  • Metacreativity: creating things from no where.
So body modification has always been a staple since at least 2e. It was even a named power!

Last edited:

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
I would say that Psionics in the D&D archetype is more "mastery of mind over all matter" than just "mastery of the mind" as is common in more Sci-fi or Super's (telepathy/TK).

Psionics in D&D has always (read since 2e) had the ability to do all of these:
  • Telepathy: mind-reading, communication
  • Telekinesis: moving objects with the power of your mind
  • Psychokinesis: direct control of elements/energy with your mind (think Firestarter, either King's or Barrymore's :p)
  • Psychoportation: moving your or other's bodies through space more efficiently. Either through teleportation effects or things like levitate/flight/skate/etc
  • Psychometabolism: these are body modification effects. Using your mind to change your body or heal it. Alter self, Animal Affinity (2e), enlarge/reduce, cure wounds to self, etc.
  • Clairsentience: seeing/hearing things from far off or divination type effects
  • Metacreativity: creating things from no where.
So body modification has always been a staple since at least 2e. It was even a named power!
1E PHB and earlier.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases