Unearthed Arcana New Unearthed Arcana: Rune Knight, Swarmkeeper, The Revived

Another new Unearthed Arcana! "In today’s Unearthed Arcana, three classes each receive a playtest option. The fighter gets a Martial Archetype option: the Rune Knight. The ranger gains a Ranger Archetype option: the Swarmkeeper. And the rogue acquires a Roguish Archetype option: the Revived."

Another new Unearthed Arcana! "In today’s Unearthed Arcana, three classes each receive a playtest option. The fighter gets a Martial Archetype option: the Rune Knight. The ranger gains a Ranger Archetype option: the Swarmkeeper. And the rogue acquires a Roguish Archetype option: the Revived."

Screenshot 2019-10-17 at 21.14.02.png

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
AFAIC, the barbarian steps all over the fighter's toes. IMO, the barbarian is a background or subclass, and never should be it's own class. So in that context, having the rune knight as a fighter makes the most sense.
Outlander already is a background, but Berserker could have, and I agree should have, 100% been a fighter subclass. But that ship has sailed.

What ties the existing Barbarian subclasses together is they fight better in an altered state. It might come from battle frenzy, divine gift, elemental affinity, or Ghost power (which all together is indeed a silly basis for a class) but Giant Might is too close to being Rage with Large size tacked on. It (and therefore also Great stature and Blessing of the All-Father) muddies the waters far too much for my taste.

If the subclass is about Runes it should be about Runes, but if it's about Giant powers granting you extra damage, Advantage on Strength stuff, and resistance to damage all for one minute then you've got yourself a Giant powered Rage.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
If the subclass is about Runes it should be about Runes, but if it's about Giant powers granting you extra damage, Advantage on Strength stuff, and resistance to damage all for one minute then you've got yourself a Giant powered Rage.

If Giant Might was described as "You inscribe the Rune 'Embiggen' on yourself, temporarily imbuing you with the stature of giant." Would it be easier to swallow? It's basically just an Enlarge spell via alternative mechanics.

2/3rds of the subclass is already dedicated runes, it just seems like this proud nail is getting all the attention.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
If Giant Might was described as "You inscribe the Rune 'Embiggen' on yourself, temporarily imbuing you with the stature of giant." Would it be easier to swallow? It's basically just an Enlarge spell via alternative mechanics.

2/3rds of the subclass is already dedicated runes, it just seems like this proud nail is getting all the attention.
It would be easy to swallow as a Runescarred Berserker

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Outlander already is a background, but Berserker could have, and I agree should have, 100% been a fighter subclass. But that ship has sailed.

What ties the existing Barbarian subclasses together is they fight better in an altered state. It might come from battle frenzy, divine gift, elemental affinity, or Ghost power (which all together is indeed a silly basis for a class) but Giant Might is too close to being Rage with Large size tacked on. It (and therefore also Great stature and Blessing of the All-Father) muddies the waters far too much for my taste.

I respectfully disagree.

The idea behind the Barbarian is that the extra effects are a byproduct of their rage. In the case of the Totem Warrior, once they pick their 3rd level totem, they might choose to take a different totem option at higher levels, but their 3rd level totem is locked in place.

The Rune Knight is all about inscribing and then activating runes, with each rune chosen giving different effect, and being able to switch out those runes each time they level up.
Personally, I see no reason why Giant Might couldn’t be renamed the Krig (War) Rune, and gaining expertise in Athletics checks instead of advantage on Strength checks and saving throws. It would actually fit the theme better.

EDIT
Better yet, I’ll just go and streamline this subclass to better fit my home games...

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
The more I think about it the more I see a divide between runes on items which can be switched and swapped, and altering oneself with independently of these items.

I think the subclass should be split in twain and both concepts more fully realized.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I respectfully disagree.

The idea behind the Barbarian is that the extra effects are a byproduct of their rage. In the case of the Totem Warrior, once they pick their 3rd level totem, they might choose to take a different totem option at higher levels, but their 3rd level totem is locked in place.

The Rune Knight is all about inscribing and then activating runes, with each rune chosen giving different effect, and being able to switch out those runes each time they level up.
Agreed.

Personally, I see no reason why Giant Might couldn’t be renamed the Krig (War) Rune
As it is it'd be a rune that is a suped up enlarge (as was pointed out to me) but still feels very close to the signature Barbarian ability to me.

and gaining expertise in Athletics checks instead of advantage on Strength checks and saving throws. It would actually fit the theme better.
Now we are talking. That feels more unique, and would still stack with Enlarge from a spell, potion, or Duergar ability.

We have in the making the ultimate grappler.

Remove ads

Remove ads